Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shared printer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hossainnet

hossainnet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:03 PM

Hi everyone,

would anyone help me out to resolve following problem?

Three computer A, B & C ( windows-7)  connected to "work network". One printer (Canon MF3010) shared from computer A. which is found from computer 'B' & also able to print from 'B'.

But the same printer cannot found from computer 'C' & unable to print from 'C'. Even search by printer name also not found. any suggestion?  Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 megakotaro

megakotaro

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:44 AM

Have you drop computer C out of work network and then add it to work network again?

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:07 AM

I used to have this happen quite a bit on Windows 7.  I always found that if I manually added the same information on "Computer C" that is being used on "Computer B" to allow access to that printer connected to "Computer A" rather than trying to search for it then it worked.

That's how I simulated having a wireless printer before I actually had one, by using one of my machines as a print server that the others could send to wirelessly.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

What happens if you go to \\ComputerA\Printer in a File Explorer window?

Where ComputerA is either the name or IP address of Computer A and Printer is the name of the printer share.  Personally I'm not fond of printers shared from a computer and prefer them to be on the network.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,223 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

Personally I'm not fond of printers shared from a computer and prefer them to be on the network.

Same here, but if you don't have a wireless printer and you don't have a router that's good about direct connect support (and very many aren't) then you're only left with one option.

What you proposed as far as "\\ComputerA\Printer" is precisely what I was presuming would be found in the networking information on the computer that was functioning with the printer on Computer A and that could be manually entered in the "Add Network Printer" setup by hand on the one that was not.  I don't know why Windows 7 was, and remains, so flaky with regard to this.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 hossainnet

hossainnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:01 AM

Thanks a lot for your valuable advice. It is not found even writing "//computer bame/printer".

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,223 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:28 AM

Just for the sake of clarity, you must use back slashes, '\', not forward slashes, '/'.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:18 AM

If your computer is named Bame then the line should be \\Bame\Printer

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:47 AM

printer would be the "shared" name of the printer

#10 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' PowerPC G3

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,708 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:26 PM

Is it possible for you to connect the printer to your Internet router with an Ethernet cable?

Regards, iMacg3

If I do not reply to your malware removal topic in 48 hours, please send me a PM. 

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users