Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

update window 8 to 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaSteve84

ScubaSteve84

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

How to update window 8 to 10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

First back up ALL your data- work, photos, music etc., etc. and not forgetting things like your browser bookmarks and your contacts list - and then make a list of all the software thaat you use on your computer and, if you downloaded any of it, the the authorisation/activation keys.

Then go to MS and run the windows media creation tool -

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade

Read the page carefully and decide which download you want and how you want to use it. Once you are happy that you have all your data and stuff backed up then run the installer to install Win 10. This process is usually pretty trouble free, at least i have heard of few people having problems at this stage.

Next, re-install all your applications and reinstate your data.

The only part I am not sure about is that since Win 10 is no longer 'free' you are going to have to pay MS some money to get an activation code. I believe it is about $US130 and £UK100. How, and to whom, you actually pay this money is the bit I am not sure about !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:48 PM

Here is one way--

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/categoryID.70036700?icid=Homepage_LeftNav_02_Windows_en_US

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:49 PM

You cannot "update" to Windows 10 from Window 8.1, but you can upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.  Unfortunately the free upgrade is no longer available.  But if you are using Assistive Technologies you can still get a free upgrade.  Otherwise you will have to purchase the Windows 10 product code and then install Windows 10.  You can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive. 

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on different PC.

Edited by dc3, 01 April 2017 - 01:50 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:19 PM

Unfortunately the free upgrade is no longer available.

I used this to download Win10 for a Win8 computer. I burned it to a DVD & installed. Activated & no payment was required.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Microsoft may have officially ended its upgrade program, but it’s leaving the capability in place for anyone who discovers it independently.

And why not? It never made much sense for Microsoft to only give Windows 10 away for just 12 months.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/242419-windows-10-free-upgrades-still-unofficially-available

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

@ saw101

If you read between the lines or take the time to read about the Windows 10 upgrade "if you use assistive technology" you will learn that Microsoft does not ask for or require proof that a person is using assistive technology.  Microsoft did end the "fee upgrade" at the end of July last year, but the server was never changed, this means that you can still get free activation of a legal installation or upgrade of Windows 10.  The legal aspect of this is the use of Microsoft installation media.  This can be easily done by using the Media Creation Tool.

Edit:  There are several articles that have been posted at different websites explaining the same thing.  Here's another you can add to your list.

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

Edited by dc3, 02 April 2017 - 10:15 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 vishnou

vishnou

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

Thank you Guys for this conversation. I am also looking for the same but now i got my answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users