Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

out of date browser using edge

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mrjohnston

mrjohnston

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

The is a problem with my parents PC.   I only have a verbal description.

The PC was upgraded to windows 10 and Edge during the free upgrade period

They had windows 7 and IE11  

My parents recently have taken a more active in looking at social media etc

The issue from my website sites is that website indicate they are using an out of day browser  and  to upgrade to a newer browser

This happens on Facebook and Twitter for example

I know edge is the default browser and there is no way for them to use IE 11

Any idea what is going on and how to fix this

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,687 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

Why do you believe that there is no way for them to use IE11?  IE11 ships with Windows 10 and can be used at will.

Regardless of what might be set as the default browser you need to be certain of exactly which browser they are using when they get the messages you describe.

If they are using Edge, I really don't know how "exquisitely sensitive" certain sites might be about whether Edge is 100% up to date.

If they want to use IE11 instead all they have to do is search on the word "Internet" in the Cortana/Windows Search box and Internet Explorer (desktop app) should be the first thing returned in the search results.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

1.Click Start
2.Type "Internet Explorer"
3.That's it!

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,687 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

1.Click Start
2.Type "Internet Explorer"
3.That's it!

You don't even have to type the "explorer".  Whether you click start, or hit the Windows key, or gain focus on the Cortana/Search area; typing "internet" will cause Internet Explorer to be returned as the first item on every Windows 10 system I've touched (at least so far).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

I know, but I've got a feeling that this dude/dudess is not all that tech savvy, not that I am either, and doesn't speak English all that well, so I basically 'dumbified' what you told him in your post, so that he can make literally no mistake, lol. :)

#6 mrjohnston

mrjohnston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

Thanks   My parents are in the mid 80s 

I set the PC up so they  use edge only

Just curious why these sites think edge is not a out of date  browser 

I am not tech savy

My English is Ok , I get by on a daily basis

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

Hello again,

The websites that you refer to probably require the latest version of the Edge browser. In order to see them, you need to type 'update Edge browser' in Google and follow the instructions from Microsoft. After you have updated your browser, you will have the newest version of Edge browser. Then, you will be able to see all the websites with Edge.
:)

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,687 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

Are Windows Updates being applied to your parents' machine automatically (which is the norm) or has something been done to block them?

Edge should be updated as needed as a part of the normal Windows Update process.

I just tried logging in to Facebook with MS-Edge and it's not complaining.  My current Windows 10 is Version 1607, Build 14393.969 and in Edge settings, down at the bottom of the list, it shows Microsoft Edge 38.14393.0.0, Microsoft EdgeHTML 14.14393.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users