Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning my pc help

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

Hey guys, I wish to clone my pc and have some questions please. First is there any free utility I can use for this one time project? Also, would this guarantee that in the event of a possible hdd crash, that upon reinstalling everything on a new HDD or new pc that all of my softwares and it's licenses will remain instact and will work right off the bat?

Edited by hamluis, 28 March 2017 - 01:59 PM.
Moved from W10 Support to Imaging Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

Macrium Reflect, AOMEI Backupper, EaseUS ToDo -- have free versions.  MR v6 available, v7 may/may not be available yet.  Unless one does a verify while write and/or does a sample [test] restore, there is no guarantee of 100% EZ success because there are user, hardware and software variables

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

Unless one does a verify while write and/or does a sample [test] restore, there is no guarantee of 100% EZ success because there are user, hardware and software variables

Thanks for the referrals, so only way to be 100% sure would be to install the clone on another pc and test?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

If you restored the image to a computer with different hardware you probably will get a BSOD. You can test the image by removing the drive you imaged and restore the image to a new drive or any drive you can spare. Technically, I don't consider backing up a disk image to a external drive a clone. To me a clone is moving data from one drive to another when both are connected.

Aomei v3.5 was able to restore to dissimilar hardware but that was removed in v4 though you can still download v3.5 at file hippo. 

I have never had a image restore fail on an image that was verified but that being said it's possible but highly unlikely.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:16 AM

So basically a clone or disk image [don't know if there is any difference?] is best applied when dealing with identical machines and specs or if one wishes to reformat a drive and reload the image?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

Yes.

Cloning is done in real time. The data from one drive transferred to the other drive. Cloning is usually done when going from HDD to SSD or to a larger drive. 

Imaging is creating an image stored on an external drive for later restoration should the computer no longer boot due to malware infection or bad drive. 

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for explaining the difference between cloning and imaging! When cloning, if you have a laptop and wish to move everything over to another or larger HDD, how would the 2nd drive be attached via USB?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

On a laptop it would be attached via USB unless the laptop had space for a second drive. Some do.

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

So if the laptop only has the one internal drive, with the cloning software everything is transferred to the USB attached 2nd drive, then you switch the internal drive and you're done, does that cover it?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

Correct, but do not reboot the computer after the clone with both drives attached. After the clone shutdown the computer and exchange drives. Sometimes Windows gets confused on which drive is the bootable drive. I am not sure about cloning via USB but on two internal drive you do not want to reboot the computer with both drives attached after the clone.

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

Which cable would you use to go from usb to the HDD for this purpose?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

You would either need a USB enclosure, docking station, or adapter similar to this. If you are only dealing with 2.5 SATA drives then you can use one of these that has two USB connectors for power. No separate power brick required.

#13 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

Thanks, then I already have a Startech IDE/SATA adapter set. Which is the best free software for this Easeus?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

I find for basic cloning Macrium Free is good. 

#15 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

Sorry for all the questions John but I wish to be precise with my understanding of this. Basic cloning? Not understanding how how it could be any more advanced since you are moving the entire OS complete with all files and softwares?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users