Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 very slow

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cvos

cvos

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

My moms computer is very slow at anything you try and do. Just opening anything can take several minutes. If we try to scan with Avast it takes hours and never used too. Scanning with Malwarebytes took hours and stopped.    Web pages take a long time to load, and if you try to open settings and do something it takes a long time for it to recognize you clicked on anything. Everything on it is now very slow!

What could be the problem? I have tried to scan for virus but it never will complete. the disk is not fragmented.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:49 PM

Have you tried restarting in Safe Mode and seeing if that makes any difference?

If that doesn't, you could try a Clean Boot.

Contributor dc3 has recently posted step-by-step instructions on how to do a Clean Boot on this very forum here.

Edited by britechguy, 27 March 2017 - 09:50 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 cvos

cvos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

Safe mode is no better.

I'm not familiar with clean boot.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

Take a look at the instructions given by DC3 that I provided the link to for clean boot.

That or you could try asking that this thread be moved to the "Am I infected?  What should I do?" forum - as I'm convinced that something's very wrong but not knowing what may or may not have been installed or what else has been going on it could be an infection.

If the boot times on the computer seem normal, but the response once booted up is what's gone down the tubes I'd try the Clean Boot process to see if you can narrow it down to a given service as the cause.  If you never get the machine to stop misbehaving after the first two "disable half the services" passes that means that something else is wrong.  In which case you could try SFC and DISM to see if they find anything, but that's putting the cart before the horse right now.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 cvos

cvos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:01 PM

I will have to try this this weekend

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:21 AM

You can also follow my instructions at my tutorial to boost speed of Windows OS.

"Tweaking & Optimizing Windows"

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617106/tweaking-optimizing-windows/

Posted Image

#7 ESmithE

ESmithE

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:14 AM

If you try to migrate OS to SSD, then you probably have this ssd slow issue. If it's harddrive, you may still have this problem for multiple writes, or virus. If you have backup of previous fast Windows, try to recovery it, it will fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users