Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for recommended direct attached storage for servers

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

Hi all,

I figure somebody might have a better idea on this. I'm looking at a dell PowerEdge T130 (I currently have a PowerEdge T110) and they both have lots of extra USB ports, even dell recommends that those ports be used to augment the four drive bays inside. I was hoping to do that for a virtual file server (redundancy provided by a VPN over to another site and through Azure backup), since this is more of a lab environment rather than a datacenter environment, so I was wondering which four-bay or greater enclosures someone would recommend for this? I can't find anything definitive, and I've get a physical file server with Windows storage server, but I can't find any definitive upgrade paths for 2016 on them. as a result, I'm stuck with either a virtual file server, or putting another spare unit under my desk, the second of which, I frankly have no desire to do. I'd love a Thecus W5810, though I've read too many stories of people upgrading them to WSS 2016 standard and causing the LCD panel to break. So, seemingly, my only options seem to be direct attach storage, offsite, or a preconfigured unit.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users