Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Question about Access to Items in Acronis Drive Image

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 frank1492

frank1492

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

I run Win 7 and Win 8 on two separate laptops. Am considering Acronis imaging software to image the Win 8 harddrive on which resides important historical data.
(1) Is Acronis a good choice for doing a basic image- no frills, easy interface?
(2) Once the image is created and stored to an external hard drive or usb, can I then access programs and files directly from that drive if connected to either the Win 8 or the Win 7 computer if I want to check them for functionality, in the same way that I can check copied files and programs, or is it necessary to use the "restore" option first- which I would not want to do? I hope this question makes sense.
Your help is much appreciated!
Frank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

Yes, and consider perhaps trying one of these:  Macrium Reflect, Image for Windows, AOMEI Backupper, EaseUS ToDo.  All of them have features and benefits that will do as you wish.  It's possible that one or more of these free versions will not do folder/file restore without going to the pay-for.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

Thank you Roland! Any of these programs that you particularly like, and would be easiest for the basic stuff? I have always been very happy with free anti-malware software.

#4 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

BTW, assuming the "yes" was to both questions 1 and 2. Thanks.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

I just now noticed you asked about directly accessing the saved, the backed up, material -- well, yes, you would be accessing the full image -- it would be a mounted virtual drive, when finished, you simply unmount that virtual drive.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,101 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

Worth a look, IMO:  https://www.howtogeek.com/226436/how-to-mount-a-macrium-reflect-backup-image-to-retrieve-files/ .

Louis

#7 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:20 PM

EaseUS ToDo looks interesting. I liked Acronis only because it had easy cloud backup. Do you know if Ease or any of the other free software you mentioned can do this? I assume no because they don't mention it.

#8 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

Worth a look, IMO:  https://www.howtogeek.com/226436/how-to-mount-a-macrium-reflect-backup-image-to-retrieve-files/ .

Louis

#9 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:28 PM

Louis

#10 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

Thanks Louis. This article seems to center on images. But I might want to access a folder containing a proprietary database program and run it. Can I do this assuming I use Macrium?

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:54 PM

"... might want to access a folder containing a proprietary database program and run it..."
If I understand this correctly, I do not know if a program will run well at all, or if it will even attempt to run, from within a mounted virtual disk.

#12 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

That is what I want to do, but if n.g. I have another idea. A little background first: As it is, in a simple backup of the program folder which resides on the Win 8 machine, the .exe file does not execute properly when the backup is run on the Win 7 machine. My idea is that the program as originally installed on the Win 8 machine does something to the registry or creates other files outside the folder so the backup of the program folder does not include these vital files. Since I am not savvy enough to figure out what these files might be, I thought, as a workaround, imaging the whole Win 8 drive might be the answer. What I will now try is an image of the Win 8 computer, and then restore it to the Win 7 computer. (It's ok if the entire Win 7 is overwritten.) Hope this explanation makes some sense.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

It just might work aok!  :)  

#14 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

Will let you know! And many thanks.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:17 AM

"...What I will now try is an image of the Win 8 computer, and then restore it to the Win 7 computer..."  As long as you keep the Windows and their licenses and their respective computers in order, no problem, right?  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users