Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not turning on?!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

mSz05ay.jpg

Product Name: Compaq Presario CQ5207SC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
---
When I turn on the power for the computer, the green light on the back lights up to indicate that there's power. But it wont turn on when I press the power button. I figured that something might've been wrong with the button so I took of the cover. The motherboard is a H-I41-uATX, here's a link for the specs and stuff: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01903990

I tried using the trick where you stick a screwdriver between some pins, but it didn't work. I did it on the pins in F_PANEL (You can see the motherboard layout in the support-link) I don't know if It's the wrong place, or if I'm putting it between the right pins, or the screwdriver is conductive, or if my power simply doesn't work.

Please tell me if I should try again, if I'm doing someting wrong, or if I can try something else to fix this.

I don't know if the battery (PS-5301-08HF) has died, but I don't see why it should, it all worked like 4 months ago.

Also tell me if you need any pictures of the computer.

Thanks in advance

-Anton

Edited by hamluis, 28 March 2017 - 09:28 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:37 PM

Try powercycling the comptuer. Pull the power, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and reboot. If that does work then check your PSU for the proper voltages using a multimeter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

#3 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

Didn't work, another detail: The fan doesn't start spinning when I connect power

Edited by hamluis, 27 March 2017 - 02:42 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

Which fan? Does the PSU fan spin? Does the CPU fan spin? I can't make out a case fan in your image.  I would check the voltages of the PSU connector to the motherboard. 

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:00 PM

There is a silkscreened label I think I see called "F_PANEL" on the lower Right hand corner of the board, but unfortunately the individual contacts are not labelled. The schematic provided by HP is not helpful, its only a general outline. Probably there is a single plug coming from the front panel that has the correct connections that plugs in there. Most likely that is where the power button originally was connected. Take a flat bladed screwdriver and cross two of the contacts horizontally (going Left to Right) not vertically (up and down). Work your way crossing connectors, only two at a time. One of those should cause the unit to power up. Somewhere on that board there are the power connectors that should power up the computer. There appears to be a jumper connecting two of those contacts, if there is just leave it alone. If nothing works, it may be your mainboard has failed.

As JohnC said above, what fan does not start spinning, do you mean the CPU heatsink fan?

Attached File  Snap 2017-03-27 at 15.07.45.png   19.89KB   1 downloads

Edited by ranchhand_, 27 March 2017 - 03:13 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:38 AM

Which fan? Does the PSU fan spin?

None of the fans spin, not even the PSU fan. The only indication that there is power is a green light on the back of the PSU.

#7 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:52 AM

Take a flat bladed screwdriver and cross two of the contacts horizontally (going Left to Right) not vertically (up and down). Work your way crossing connectors, only two at a timeSnap 2017-03-27 at 15.07.45.png

I had already tried that, but with your advice I took some time with it, and it worked! The two pins you point to on the picture seem to be the right ones. I think it was my screwdriver that wasn't conductive, because I tried with small scissors after trying the screwdriver. Then I gave up and went away, and suddenly all the fans started spinning! So how do I fix this now to get the power button working again, should I still test my PSU for voltage problems (I don't have a multimeter, so that will be delayed)?
Thank you

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:44 AM

It is always good to test the power supply. If you know how to use a multimeter to do this, well and good. It would be of great use to you to learn how to use one, it is not rocket science.  I use a dedicated power supply tester, but if you rarely work on computers it may not be financially realistic to invest a few dollars for one. I, personally, think they are great.

If your computer runs properly for a long time after you boot it up, chances are your power supply is good.

I don't think there is a "fix" for the power switch when it goes bad. Replacement is what is needed, but that also has a problem: these commercially manufactured machines have power switches specially made for that particular case, and finding an exact replacement can be an exercise in frustration, especially for an older machine. You have an HP, so try to contact HP and see if they have anything available, but don't get disappointed if you get no result. Try Newegg.com or Amazon for generic replacement parts, but it's going to be a challenge, From what I can see, HP used a single plug for several of the front panel features. If that is the case, finding a generic replacement will almost be impossible. 

When you disconnected the F_PANEL, were there several small connectors that plugged in to the contacts, or just one single plug that encompassed them all?

Edited by ranchhand_, 28 March 2017 - 04:46 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:31 AM

You need to replace the power supply

#10 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:07 AM

When you disconnected the F_PANEL, were there several small connectors that plugged in to the contacts, or just one single plug that encompassed them all?

First off, I don't know what happened earlier, it must've turned itself on somehow, since it started after I gave up. Now I can't get it to work.. Also I don't know if it really worked, it wasn't hooked up to a monitor, the fans just started spinning but I think it worked.
I don't really understand the question so I took a picture of the F_PANEL and the connector. The wires connected to the power button is the red one and the black one next to it.

Attached Files

#11 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

You need to replace the power supply

You're probably right, I'll try to find a 300W that fits if nobody finds a fix before that.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

Yup, it looks like the power supply is suspect. Before purchasing a new one, I would try to test the old one. If you are going to continue using older equipment a power supply tester may be a good investment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users