Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer of 4.20 GB Video to 8 GB and 16 GB Flash Drive Fails

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 reilly1

reilly1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

Hello---

I have a 4.20 GB movie that is housed on my desktop, which I want to transfer to a flash drive.

I have tried to do this twice-- once to an 8 GB flash drive and the second time to a 16 GB flash drive.  Both times I have received the same error message:

"The file IMG_2656.MOV is too large for the destination file system."

There is nothing else on each of these flash drives so I am unsure why this occurring.  How do I fix the problem so that the movie can be copied onto the flash drive or is there another way to provide a copy of the video?

Thanks in advance for the assistance....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

If the drives are formatted FAT32 it will be impossible to copy a 4.2GB file. The maximum file size for FAT32 is 4GB. You need to format the flash drives as NTFS. I would copy any data on these drives to your hard drive then format them NTFS.

Note: There is a method to convert from FAT32 to NTFS but you should also backup your data before attempting the conversion as things can go wrong and you would lose any data on the flash drives. I can provide this method if you wish. But it is preferable to do a fresh format.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 March 2017 - 12:19 PM.

#3 reilly1

reilly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:19 PM

Thanks JohnC.

One followup question--- when formatting to NTFS, what size should I select?  32 kilobytes or something else?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

I am not sure I understand. Are you referring to cluster size? For your flash drives the cluster size should be 4KB.

To make is easier I would first back up any data on the flash drive. Download and install Partition Wizard. Delete the existing partition and then create a primary NTFS partiton using the defaults Partition Wizard provides.

Note: All steps are virtual using Partition Wizard and will not complete until Apply is clicked.

#5 reilly1

reilly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

Sorry for the confusion.  What I mean is this:  if I reformat the Flash drive this is what I see:

Capacity: 8 GB

File System: Default FAT 32; I am planning to change this to NTFS

Allocation unit size: the options are as follows:

- Default Size

- 512 bytes

- 1024 bytes

- 2048 bytes

- 4096 bytes

- 16 kilobytes

- 32 kilobytes

- 64 kilobytes

So I was thinking that I would select 32 kilobytes.  Does this sound correct?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

Use 4096 bytes. That is default for NTFS and your flash drive capacity.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/140365/default-cluster-size-for-ntfs,-fat,-and-exfat

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 March 2017 - 01:56 PM.

#7 reilly1

reilly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

This information was so valuable, thank you!

It worked like a charm.  Really appreciate the assistance and helped me learned something new along the way too!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

Your Welcome, and thanks for taking the time to post an update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users