Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How bad is McAfee really??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nora10514

Nora10514

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

I'm told that McAfee is the worst anti virus software.  Can someone comment on this?  I recently subscribed to McAfee's Total Protection and use if for scanning.  McAfee never finds anything.  Do I need to worry?   I also use McAfee real time scanning and the web advisor from McAfee.  What should I be using for complete protection?    Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 27 March 2017 - 08:51 AM.
Moved from Gen Sec to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 r04820317

r04820317

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

worst?  no, it's a widely-used product, by personal and business clients; it's as good as most major vendors; the only issue is the retail cost/price - higher than the average. Check these websites:

http://www.tomsguide.com/t/antivirus/

http://www.thetop10antivirus.com/best-antivirus-software

https://www.bestonlinesecurity.com/ 

I would also suggest you check AVAST (http://www.avast.com).   Good antivirus tool, and it's free.

Edited by r04820317, 27 March 2017 - 09:32 AM.

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

What should I be using for complete protection?

Your head. :lmao:

But seriously, I don't think McAfee is all that bad. It's average & mediocre, that's all.
I personally don't use an anti-virus program, an anti-malware program or some kind of firewall, since I don't do e-banking or store all that much data on my computer.
I would recommend the following programs as a protection, in this order:

1.Malwarebytes
2.Avast Anti-virus
3.Eset Nod32

Hope this somewhat helps!
:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 27 March 2017 - 09:33 AM.

#4 Nora10514

Nora10514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

I couldn't go to the top 10 anti virus.  McAfee blocked this website.  Thanks for your comment.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:10 PM

You may want to review some of the statistical data maintained at https://www.virusbulletin.com/testing/results/compare/vb100-antimalware .  This site seems to be one of the few that that I would consider capable of providing quality data re the myriad of software out there today.

Louis

#6 Nora10514

Nora10514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

thanks but I could not find McAfee or Norton on the site that compares anti virus software.

#7 r04820317

r04820317

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:27 PM

You should be able to search on this subject using bing, google, etc

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:30 AM

Although McAfee (now owned by Intel Security) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core install kernel mode drivers and resource heavy processes that load at boot-up. Installation also results in the creation of numerous files, folders, and registry entries in various locations making it more difficult to remove. Further, there have been numerous complaints about lack of sufficient support from the vendor.

Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for an alternative anti-virus. IMO, McAfee is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers. With that said, there are a lot of folks who prefer using this anti-virus solution (especially if it came preinstalled) and there is nothing wrong with staying with a product you are satisfied with and do not mind paying for.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Neil_Hines

Neil_Hines

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:45 AM

Mcafee it's not a bad Antivirus before I used this software its working proper never give any problem but now I'm using Windows 10 and Windows 10 you will get by default Windows Defender it is free Microsoft Antivirus.

#10 anajames

anajames

• Banned Spammer
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:08 AM

McAfee is a decent anti-virus, have been using on my home pc for like 4 years now and i am protected.

#11 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

I used Livesafe for a year.Resource heavy,but did the job.Now using Windows Defender with Voodooshield.This setup is light,but Voodooshield may scare some users as it requires some knowledge.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:50 PM

As I noted previously, McAfee is as good as any other well known anti-virus program but tends to be resource heavy.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users