Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weather Information

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

Mod edit: Split from and in response to: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406036/cheesemakers-linux-corner/?p=4207359
~ Al1000

--------------------------------------------------

Works like a charm Ray. Even in Australia (use town rather than postcode).

<wttr.in> detected that my town of Stanthorpe is in Australia, rather than the one/s in England and elsewhere.

k1Y6dEt.png

... and the bash alias works fine as well.

Thanks for the tip, Ray :thumbup2:

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW for The Viewers - curl ships installed in the Linux Mint 18 series and the Ubuntu 16 series - prior to that it is in your Repos but needs installing.

Edited by Al1000, 27 March 2017 - 07:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

Hiya, Wiz.

Mmm..! I tried this a few weeks ago; one of our forum members wanted something comprehensive, but ultra-low resource.....since he's running a very elderly, low RAM machine.

Phil B., Tahrpup's developer, chipped in with this very suggestion.....and it works, nicely. The thread then developed into a general discussion covering all available weather apps, and quite a few suggestions were made.

Including this one:-

https://www.downloadcrew.com/article/34864-temps

Temps is an Electron-based project. Apparently this makes for quite a sizeable download (somewhere in the region of 40 MB), but it is completely self-contained, doesn't need installing, and can run from anywhere on your system, once unzipped. Just click on the binary.

If you're running multiple distros, you can run the same 'install' on every single one, from a remote partition (this is what I've done). If you wish, you can set it to auto-start at every boot. Here, it's running on Slacko 64 6.3.0:-

B4bAMLr.png

It resides in the tray, and is operated from the icon. Surprisingly for Pup, it even works correctly within the JWM/ROX 'pinboard' combo.....as well as the more traditional DEs like XFCE, LXDE, etc.

The only fly in the ointment is that it works via an API 'key', in much the same way as the majority of Android stuff. It's an easy enough matter to get a free one from OpenWeatherMap, though.

Just thought I'd share it with y'all. (And before you ask why have I got two weather 'widgets' in the screenie, pWidgets' weather app only shows current temperature and conditions; no forecast, y'see.)

Downloads available direct from the developer's GitHub page:-

https://github.com/jackd248/temps/releases

Enjoy.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 27 March 2017 - 05:48 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users