Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator User profile cannot be loaded. Other users standard

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 aidanodr

aidanodr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:10 AM

Hi Guys,

I have a system where the Administrator profile is throwing up this error when you try to log into it:

The User Profile Service service failed the sign in. User profile cannot be loaded

HENCE WE CANNOT LOG INTO AN ADMINISTRATOR PROFILE

Their is only one other profile and that IS NOT SET as Administrator, it is a standard profile so has limits on what it can / cannot do. For example we cannot install software - a box pops up asking for admin username / password then crashes out with an error like cannot find the install file you just clicked on.

It seems he somehow went to change the login email address ( used for his MS Account login online ) to another address that is also an MS account address. Then he somehow created a new profile, moving the data from what was original profile and was the administrator. The original admin account now doesnt work with error above. Thats the best I can understand what he did from his description.

Whats the best way to deal with this? 

I told the guy who owns the PC that it might be faster to back it up and factory reset / reformat. Is this the best approach?

Edited by aidanodr, 27 March 2017 - 08:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:37 AM

Please follow instructions at Microsoft website.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947215/you-receive-a-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-error-message

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 aidanodr

aidanodr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:00 AM

I tried accessing the regedit. I was able to get down as far as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ BUT then NO access or mention of the registry subkey - PROFILELIST

I would think this is because I can only log in with a STANDARD PROFILE, no admin rights - the ADMINISTRATOR Profile is not working, corrupt. This is the issue, as mentioned in the OP

Edited by aidanodr, 27 March 2017 - 08:01 AM.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

If you did not have administrative privileges you would not be allow to open Registry Editor. 

Have you tried to system restore your computer?

Do you have Windows 10 Setup Media?

- Dalai Lama

#5 aidanodr

aidanodr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:58 AM

If you did not have administrative privileges you would not be allow to open Registry Editor. 

Have you tried to system restore your computer?

Do you have Windows 10 Setup Media?

"If you did not have administrative privileges you would not be allow to open Registry Editor. "

Then why, if I have admin privileges & am in the standard profile - it is NOT allowing me to install anything ( like malwarebytes or anyother downloaded software ) OR NOT allowing me to open CMD in elevated mode? Each time it pops up a box asking me to provide admin username / password.

As far as I know - as a standard user - you can open regedit & can edit stuff under CURRENT USER but cannot do so to stuff under LOCAL MACHINE etc

Have you tried to system restore your computer? Do you have Windows 10 Setup Media?

No not yet ( yes I have media ) - I didnt want to go too far with repairing this before finding out is it worth the time in peoples own experience of similar  .. is my best option just to factory reset

Edited by aidanodr, 27 March 2017 - 09:00 AM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

You are login to temporary profile which you cannot install programs from.

You can enable build-in Administrator account and try repair damage user account from Administrator account.

Open the Command Prompt by simply holding down the BxVxp04.png + X keys and select the option “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

rS4b5c0.jpg

From Command Prompt type following command and press Enter key:

Net User Administrator  /active:yes

Login to Administrator account and follow Microsoft instructions.

- Dalai Lama

#7 aidanodr

aidanodr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

You are login to temporary profile which you cannot install programs from.

You can enable build-in Administrator account and try repair damage user account from Administrator account.

Open the Command Prompt by simply holding down the BxVxp04.png + X keys and select the option “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

rS4b5c0.jpg

From Command Prompt type following command and press Enter key:

Login to Administrator account and follow Microsoft instructions.

Thanks FreeBooter. I have already tried this. When i select COMMAND PROMPT (Admin) a box pops up asking me for the original admin username / password. I supply this and then get an error saying cannot find cmd.exe even though it is there in the windows/system32 folder

As I said in the OP it seems to be the original Account with admin rights is corrupt. When i try login to it at the Welcome screen I get:

The User Profile Service service failed the sign in. User profile cannot be loaded

I then have to revert to this other account available at the welcome screen. He has two accounts there - a gmail acount name & another email account name. The gmail account name was the profile that no longer works and was the admin. The other email account name profile is what appears to be a standard account OR as you said a temp profile. This is the only way to login.

I also tried going via safe mode. No access to elevated admin there either. I then tried going via the SHIFT / Restart mode to access the Win 10 repair tools, boot to safe mode BUT choose the boot to CMD Prompt there. Once that did load up on reboot I was able to try this  

BUT it would seem it was already enabled?

When i went to the welcome screen again I STILL only had the two profiles - the gmail account profile & other email profile ( working, standard ). I did not have a THIRD built in admin profile to choose from ( CTRL + ALT + DEL x 2 )

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

If you want you can replace registry hives with backup registry hives from Windows Recovery Environment.

Windows Vista/ 7/8/8.1/10 keep a regular backup of the registry handy in case you need to overwrite a corrupted registry. By default, the RegIdleBackup task runs every 10 days, so that’s as far back as you would lose if you replaced the current registry with the automatically backed-up files. You can find the backed-up registry files in \Windows\System32\config\RegBack folder.

To replace the Registry, boot to the Windows DVD to access Windows RE and get to the Command Prompt shell.

Execute following commands one at time and fro each command you have typed press Enter key:

Ren  C:\windows\system32\config\SAM         SAM.BAK
Ren  C:\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM      SYSTEM.BAK
Ren  C:\windows\system32\config\SECURITY    SECURITY.BAK
Ren  C:\windows\system32\config\DEFAULT     DEFAULT.BAK
Ren  C:\windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE    SOFTWARE.BAK

Copy  C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SAM         C:\windows\system32\config
Copy  C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SYSTEM      C:\windows\system32\config
Copy  C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SECURITY    C:\windows\system32\config
Copy  C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\DEFAULT     C:\windows\system32\config
Copy  C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SOFTWARE    C:\windows\system32\config

When computer boots into WinRE environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Edited by FreeBooter, 27 March 2017 - 09:34 AM.

- Dalai Lama

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

You can create Windows 10 Setup Media using Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

- Dalai Lama

#10 aidanodr

aidanodr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

OK Freebooter

I am gathering all this and will try next time at his PC ( Later or tomorrow )

however I am veering toward just factory reset as I have all his data backed up and their is not much in software on it.

This is an interesting one because it seems he had an ADMIN User profile that got corrupted, messed up somehow via him trying to change the email address for his original admin based profile. In the process somehow reverted to this new profile with only standard user access. So we now have a system with only one useable profile - and that is as a standard user.

Edited by aidanodr, 27 March 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#11 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:28 AM

screenshot_389.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users