Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer seems to fry external drives

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Randerson91

Randerson91

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:38 AM

Hey guys, I've had an issue with a couple of external drives over the past couple of days and was looking to get some help.

First issue was plugging a WD 500gb external drive (usb powered) in to my computer, and was able to access and copy some things over to it as usual (done plenty of times) and then gave it back to my father to watch some shows off of it. He then said that when he tried to plug it in to his TV nothing came up, strange, i then plugged it in to the laptop to see if that would help, but nothing came back on that either. I could hear a bit of a strange sound when it started up and then nothing.

Then today, with my gf's hard drive (seagate, 500gb, usb powered), same thing, copied some things over, and now the drive seems to be fried. Makes a strange sound and then can't access anything. The computer and the TV recognise that something is plugged in, I just have no way to access it.

So first question, is it possible that my computer usb port could damage an external drive to create this sort of issue?

If so, is there anything I could try to access these drives?

Computer is running Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit

Computer is a few years old

Not sure where to start, please let me know if there is any info that might be beneficial towards a solution.

Any help appreciated :)

Edited by Randerson91, 27 March 2017 - 02:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:47 AM

Earlier, did you try these HDs using other usb ports?  Are you using on-board ports only, or, do you also have a powered usb hub?  I'm hoping to either rule in or rule out just that one usb port or the usb controller on the motherboard.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 March 2017 - 05:48 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:01 AM

With one of the drives attached open Disk Management. How is the drive listed if listed at all. Provide a screenshot if possible.

#4 Randerson91

Randerson91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:46 AM

I've tried connecting the usb drive to both a powered usb hub through both usb 3.0 and 2.0 as well as usb 3.0 and 2.0 on my computer itself.

As for Disk Management, I can't get it to show up at all, it loads up fine if the drive is not plugged in, but if it's plugged in it freezes trying to find the drives, as well as if I add it after Disk Management is already open, it gets stuck on Disk rescan in progress, please wait...

When I plug the drive in there is a few things elsewhere:

- In the 'safely remove hardware and eject media' the drive shows up simply as 'Expansion' but if I click to remove it does nothing

- The device shows as Unknown Device in 'Devices and Printers' and 'Device Manager'

I'm just wondering whether it's a crazy coincidence that 2 drives failed so close together because I have a third that I can use for now, but would really love to recover the data from the other drives, and well... not completely destroy my last one haha

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:20 AM

Two HDs and their respective data - down, is not good.  This might eventually morph into a data recovery project if there is no simple way to restore access to all that data.  I'm uneasy, I don't have a clean-cut answer set, I'm going to listen in and learn alongside you.

Edited by RolandJS, 28 March 2017 - 02:33 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

It may very well be your hardware causing the drives to die but this being Windows 10 please try the following.

Download the fatdog64 iso and burn it to a CD or use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Once on the fatdog64 desktop attach your "bad" external. If detected a USB icon will appear on the desktop next to your sdx partitions of the hard drive. If you used a USB to boot fatdog then you will have another USB flash drive labeled sdb or possible sdc. Click once on it and if the drive is able to mount a file manager window will open showing your contents.

If is does not then possibly the USB bridge card on the external is bad and if it is not integral to the drive's PCB you can try putting the drive into another external enclosure.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-710.iso

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

#7 RenoGeek

RenoGeek

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

Two fried hard drives would seem to suggest something is wrong with the usb ports.

They sell testers to check if you have the right voltage and it's steady...

https://www.amazon.com/Centech-USB-Power-Meter/dp/B00DAR4ITE

Also you can check in device manager that the usb ports are working.

I am not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly. 

Have you backed up today? Did you backup your backup?

Virus Removal Guides

Computer Technician Checklist

Microsoft Safety & Security Center

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users