Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SSD drive error during startup

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 huntsin2

huntsin2

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire m5-481t that I just put a new Samsung V-NAND SSD 850 EVO 500 GB in.

Below is a link to the specs of the laptop

https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-m5-481t-6831-14-core-i5-3337u-6-gb-ram-500-gb-hdd-us-international/specs/

I cloned the SATA Western Digital 500GB HDD that was previously in the laptop to the SSD.

Now when trying to boot up the laptop I get a "disk read error occurred Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart."

I am wondering if maybe the BIOS needs to be updated in order for it to work. Other than that I don't know what it could be.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:01 PM

Also, the OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

Did you check the BIOS for two things?

a.  The SSD is properly reflected among hard drives.

b.  The SSD is the first boot device, as opposed to the any other drive.

Louis

#4 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

Hi Louis,

That was the next step I was going to take.

I just checked and it shows the name of the SSD properly and it is also the first item in the boot order.

Also, as an additional note I used the Samsung Data Migration software to clone the data to my new SSD and it said it completed successfully.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/downloads/software/Samsung_SSD_Data_Migration_User_Manual_v30_ENG.pdf

Well...I would just try to clone the original drive again. 

I note that there are lots of qualifiers in the Samsung documentation for it's tool...it might be better to try some other tool by EaseUS, Macrium, etc.

Louis

#6 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

I just went in to check the BIOS which is below.

System BIOS is v1.02
VGA BIOS Version is V2132

Afterwards, instead of the disk read error that I was getting before. I received the following message

Windows boot manager
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disk and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "repair your computer."

If you do not have this disk, contact your system administrator or or a computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\System32\drivers\partmgr.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

Then the system allowed me the option to select Windows 7 startup or Tools: Windows Memory and Diagnostics. I selected Windows 7 and it brought me to the login screen. I was able to successfully login and was brought to the desktop, and Windows said "You need to restart your computer now for changes to take effect." So I clicked restart and it brought be back to the black screen saying "Disk read error press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart."

I'm still wondering if updating the BIOS would make a difference.

Edited by huntsin2, 27 March 2017 - 06:04 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

I doubt updating your BIOS would help. partmgr.sys is the Windows Partition Manager driver. Did you defrag your HDD before doing the clone?

If you have the Windows install disk boot it and do a startup repair. It may take up to three attempts for the repair to complete.

If that does not work then see this Partition Wizard guide on copying from one disk to the other and optimizing for SSD.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html

After the clone the HDD should be removed before booting the SSD. As this is a laptop did you use a USB adapter to clone the SSD?

#8 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

I did open the defrag tool and analyze the disk to see if it needed to be defragmented, but it didn't need to be. :) I am surprised you picked up on that. I am surprised that would have an effect if that's what happened.

I did use a USB adapter to clone the SSD. I then took out the HDD from the laptop and put in the SSD.

I will try doing the repair using a Windows disc that I have.

#9 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Ok, I inserted the Windows installation disc. Went to repair and then Windows said it found errors that need to be fixed click to repair and restart the computer, so I did.

Now I have a screen that says

"Windows Boot Manager

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred."

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:41 PM

That sounds like an error between the drive and motherboard. I would remove the drive and attach it again making sure the connection is secure. 

Did you run the startup repair an additional two times? That may remove the error if I am wrong about the drive/motherboard connection.

#11 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

I ran the repair process a second time and it went through without the specific error that I just mentioned which is quoted below

Ok, I inserted the Windows installation disc. Went to repair and then Windows said it found errors that need to be fixed click to repair and restart the computer, so I did.

Now I have a screen that says

"Windows Boot Manager

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred."

However, it did say "Startup repair could not detect a problem"

"If you have recently attached device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer. If you continue to see this message, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance."

I clicked on advanced repair options/details and it said that the reason for the inability to fix was a corrupt registry.

I can try it a third time, however if the registry is corrupted then I think it probably won't work, but I will try.

I am open to trying the partition wizard steps that you mentioned, however I am wondering also if possibly trying disk cloning through the Acronis software would be another possible solution before I try the partition wizard?

Also, regarding the issue between the motherboard and the SSD is that something that updating the BIOS would help with?

Edited by huntsin2, 27 March 2017 - 07:03 PM.

#12 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

Ok, it just finished the third time and I get

"Startup repair could not detect a problem"

"If you have recently attached device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer. If you continue to see this message, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance."

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

Yes, you can clone using Acronis. I only mentioned Partition Wizard as a possible option. 

No, updating the BIOS will not affect the drive I/O errors. There were no problems with the old HDD.

#14 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:30 AM

Ok, so I did a clone of the HDD to the SSD using Acronis following the directions from the below link

https://kb.acronis.com/content/2931

However, I get the same message as before when trying to boot. Something like, "disk read error press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart."

Then I found

"If you need to upgrade your computer hardware, simply popping in a cloned disk in the hardware may not work. Youll need to use some operating system setup features to make sure all the latest hardware is supported, or use a backup and recovery tool such as Acronis True Image 2017 with Acronis Universal Restore to support restoration of a disk to a computer with different hardware than the original computer." from the below link. I am thinking that the SSD might qualify as different hardware. So maybe trying Acronis Universal Restore is my next step. -- I have thought about this a bit and I believe this would be if I were to try and put the cloned drive in a different computer with different hardware not just a different hard drive. So I am not sure what my next step is.

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/resource-center/resource/cloning-software/

[quote name="JohnC_21" post="4208290" timestamp="1490655567"]

I doubt updating your BIOS would help. partmgr.sys is the Windows Partition Manager driver. Did you defrag your HDD before doing the clone?

What are the effects of doing a defrag before the clone? Even though I did not do one.

One last question for this long post. What is the effect of cloning a disk on the validity of the OS since a person potentially has another version of the same OS with the same license key?

Edited by huntsin2, 28 March 2017 - 01:33 AM.

#15 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:19 AM

Ive used Acronis Universal Restore when swapping out a Mobo { Driver Issues }, and restoring an Image via Acronis Boot Disc. - All went Ok.

Your Bios is not an Issue in Cloning the HD to SSD.

Q - if you reinstall the Old Drive does it boot ok.

If So -  you can try MiniTool Partiton Magic to Clone the HD to SSD.    https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

From Similar Post - Page 2 { MY REF } https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/641713/ssd-upgrade-problems/

I tested the process with Minitool , and Cloned my SSD on this laptop back to a 640G Sata Drive and tried and worked ok.

I made these Notes as i went along with the Process.

Open Mini Tool.

Select  Copy  Disk Wizard

Select disk to Copy = Should Be Highlighted already as DISK 1 { HDD  Number etc }

Click next

Select Target Disk

Should be Disk 2 = Select It { SSD }

Prompt Pops Up = All Data Will Be Deleted…..Select Yes

Then Select – Fit Partition to Entire Disk.

Click Next.

Pop Up on Boot from destination Disk = Just Click FINISH.

You should be back at Main Screen , and can see that the correlation between the 2 Drives is Similar.

You can Now Click “Apply Tab”

Follow Prompt Requests and Click YES.

Then at Prompt = Select Restart Now.

My Clone took 1hr 20 Min, 500G SSD 850 EVO to Seagate 640 Drive with 110G of Data.

{ So slighty slower in writing to the Sata Drive than Vise Versa to a SSD.}

Laptop Auto Rebooted from SSD and No Issues with both Drives Connected after Clone.

I then Swapped out the drives to Test the 640 Sata Drive that was Cloned.

Booted and Same as SSD Structure.

Edited by Havachat, 28 March 2017 - 04:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users