Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why would cellphone plan providers limit their customer base?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

There are some companies out there that offer coverage plans to customers on one of the big networks (like AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) for good rates, but only if they can provide a EIN or proof of their company or employment status.

When finding out of this phenomenon I was wondering, what's in it for these companies to limit their customer base, why wouldn't they want business from everyone (without any business or company related connections)?

Edited by bcmo, 26 March 2017 - 09:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:44 PM

The carrier isn't limiting their customer base. They are offering an attractive rate or package to employees of more than likely someone they are already a corporate provider for. Meaning that X carrier is the corporate provider for company Y. If you work for company Y and have proof of employment. You can get a more attractive package than if I was to get the same service there being a non-employee. Like an employee discount at your own company so to speak.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:57 PM

I'm referring to re-sellers who offer attractive plans to anyone able to prove that they have a company, LLC, are self employed, etc. Even if you're not part of a company or entity they already serve, and won't necessarily bring anyone else with you.

Edited by bcmo, 26 March 2017 - 10:59 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,789 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:06 PM

I don't see how leveraging a marketing angle, when they will resell to anyone, is a limitation. They are offering an incentive. Wouldn't you use a 20% off coupon if you got one for showing an ID or proof of employment?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:02 AM

...when they will resell to anyone..

That's the point, not to anyone, just to business-people. If they wanted to resell to anyone there wouldn't be any proof of business requirements.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,789 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

In all my dealings with resellers. And I'm in the telecom industry. I have never ever seen one limit their business model that way.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

How about this site?

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,789 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

This is not a 'traditional' individual/family cellphone plan resller. This is a business systems/VoIP business. Meaning they focus on small to medium sized businesses. They install multi-line communications systems. Then offer to have your business lines be mirrored or forwarded to your cellphone. The margins for the single line personal cellphone would not be worth maintaining inventory and sales people for this reseller. They would not have walk-in individuals looking for the newest Android or Apple offerings.

It's same reasons you don't find dump trucks at your local car dealership next to the pickup trucks. It's a specialized segment. They just added cell phones in conjunction with business systems, which is their primary market. Not as a stand alone sales point.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

But they also offer simple talk&text and 4G data plans which is similar to "regular" plans except for the fact that it's not available to anyone, only to individuals proving they're affiliated with a official entity.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,789 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:50 PM

Which is their niche in the market as a business provider. That effectively takes them out of the personal device reseller category. They don't want to deal with individuals. It's just business.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#11 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:19 PM

What's in it for T-Mobile to offer this business re-seller's users access to their first tier network with the cheap rates the users have to pay? What profit does T-Mobile get from it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users