Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Game Probs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ubiquitously

ubiquitously

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:48 PM

When I launch old games, like StarCraft and Bedlam, or even Emulators, My CPU usage rides 100% according to the Windows Task Manager. My StarCraft will lag for no reason. My Bedlam game gets to the map selection screen and the mouse dissapears, and no text in the upper left box. ( I haven't waited more than 2-3 minutes to see what happens, I shouldn't have to, right?) The emulators freeze and sometimes crash my comp. I've run Fable with ZERO lag at just about normal settings, and Dungeon Lords with no more lag then the programmers created, so I don't think it is my hardware, but I'll list it anyway.

I'm running a Dell Dimension 4500 (nearly 6 years old) BUT it has;

Windows XP home SP2
2.0 gh processor
1024 Mb RAM
256Mb Nvidea GeForce AGP video (latest driver)
External Audio card (for music)
Norton System Works/Firewall (I've already tried disabling)

Like I said before I've tried disabling Norton and other background programs (clean boot). I've also ran the programs in every combination of compatibility mode that I know of. I cleaned up StarCraft's multiplayer by opening a specific port, but I don't think that is the problem.

My computer is freshly reformatted and is performing great for a six year old compy, better then some five years newer. (Usually the user's lack of maintenance though.)

Please let me know if you guys have any solutions to my problem. I'd like to enjoy some of those old games that I grew up on. I mean, if my computer can handle Fable with normal settings, it should be able to handle Mirage's Bedlam, Star Craft, and some emulators simultanuously, as apposed to not at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ubiquitously

ubiquitously
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:21 AM

Is there a way to get this thread to some people who might know? The only reply I have is this one. I would really appreciate help on this one.

#3 LaChica

LaChica

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:44 PM

It might not be a big help, but you should try downloading Windows Defender.
1. Go to Tools (a picture of a gear is next to it)
2. Software Explorer
It should already be on Start Up Programs.
Then look through the programs you KNOW what they are and you know that you don't need it running.
Click on "Disable" for each one you don't need.

I hope it helps ^.^
I'm not really a computer person but I really want to help some people.

Edited by LaChica, 13 September 2006 - 03:44 PM.

Posted Image

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:07 PM

Well, sometimes old games don't work well on XP. Half-Life one use to actually lag on my old card, and hte title screen was distorted.

Make sure your emulators are up to date, and you have to realise that emulators are emulating it, so it's not like these games are using your resources properly. Also, make sure the old games are updated, some old games were designed specificly for 98, or whatever version.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 ubiquitously

ubiquitously
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:34 PM

LaChica,
Does Windows Defender do something more than the Windows Task Manager? I've done what you call "clean boots" which is running msconfig and deselecting all non-vital startup programs and services.

Plus I really don't think I'm lacking in resources. Thanks anyways.

Protozero,
I have no clue how old those emulators are, so I don't know what OS they were meant for. The thing is, my GF gave me those emulators and says that they work perfectly on two other computers running XP.

I didn't think about that being a problem though, so thanks for the heads-up.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing is that all of those games that are giving me problems seem to be messing up in a very similar fasion. Which leads me to believe that whatever the problem is, it is a single problem that is messing up my StarCraft, Bedlam, and Emulators.

All of those games are similar in that they are older, which means lower resolution graphics, different memory management, among other things I'm sure. I've run them all in every Windows Compatibility Mode that I have (95, 98, NT, 2000) with no luck.

:thumbsup: Please help :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users