Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Technicolor TC8305C suddenly started resetting itself - possible replacements?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ibuildstuff

Ibuildstuff

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

So, I'm having a VERY annoying problem with my technicolor TC8305c router that, unlike the various other network problems I've had with it leading up to this, doesn't seem to be Comcast's fault at all. In the past, the router would sometimes reboot itself at random, regardless of what I was doing at that time. Then, later, after it booted up, I would usually see something in the logs about the CMTS timing out in response to a ranging request, which causes the router to 'panic', think it's at fault, and reboot itself to try to fix the perceived problem. 

The problem I'm now facing is distinctly different. As of last night, the router has been rebooting itself in response to about 1 in every 10 new connections I make- New connections that would result from, for example, trying to refresh a page or uploading a photo. 

I know this behavior is in response to new connections, and doesn't just seem that way due to 'lucky' timing, because I've become accustomed to leaving a command prompt window in the background that is constantly pinging 8.8.8.8 - one of google's DNS servers - because oftentimes, looking at that is the only way I can tell whether I'm online or whether whatever site I'm trying to load is down. Every time the router reboots and I lose my connection, I can switch back to that command prompt window and be able to estimate within a second or two of when the reset actually happened. It is always in response to me trying to do something on the internet. 

Later, after the router boots back up, when I check the diagnostic logs, nothing is there, which would not be the case if Comcast were at fault. 

So, this is almost certainly a hardware issue, and, seeing as how I have not made the slightest change to any part of my network setup in months, I have a feeling it may be a symptom of a dying router. 

I'd prefer not to have to mess with my extraordinarily complicated network setup, as it was built by my father over many years, and at this point, nobody really knows how it works. If anyone has any ideas of what to try as an alternative to replacing the router, I'd be very thankful.

I'll still have to replace the router at some point, whether it be sooner or later, so any suggestions of a good, reliable router to buy would also be greatly appreciated. My technicolor TC8305c has given me nothing but annoyance and puzzling bugs to figure out, so I'd prefer going with a completely different model.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

Depending on where you are located you have a couple of other options.  The TC8305C is in the oldest of three classes of modem-routers that will work on Comcast's network.  See:  Wireless Gateway 1, Wireless Gateway 2 and Wireless Gateway 3 Feature Comparison

You should be able to use any of the other supported gateways in Class 1 or Class 2, but Class 3 only functions in select markets.

You would be best to dig in to your current router and make note of exactly what network(s) are set up on it, their IP address distributions, etc., as you will need to duplicate this on whatever modem-router you acquire unless you want to start from scratch and tweak all the machines to connect to that new network configuration.  Provided the same SSIDs are used and the IP distributions for each are the same your computers shouldn't care whether they're connecting to your current router or its replacement.  I've changed out modem-routers before, making sure that the network names (SSIDs) and IP addresses assigned to each were the same and all of my computers, printers, smartphones, etc., just keep chugging along as though nothing has happened because nothing has happened from their perspectives.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users