Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update - All Programs Gone

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kgray6789

kgray6789

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

Windows 10 recently updated on my PC and appeared to be completely successful. However, all of the software that I installed myself (Microsoft Office, photo editing, Google Chrome + all my bookmarks and passwords, etc.) is now all gone. All of my files (documents & pictures) appear to be intact, however. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Windows, which did not work. I couldn't do a system restore because I didn't have the box checked for that option (I do now). There are only four programs now showing on the computer in the "Uninstall or change a program" section. Other than reinstalling all of the software, is there any way to fix this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,220 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

I am willing to be corrected but I think the answer to your question is 'Yes, you are going to have to re-install all your applications'.

If you have a 'Restore' partition on your computer you may be able to restore it to an ex-works condition but before you did that you would need to back up all your data to external storage. and if you did a restore you would still have to remove all the maker's bloatware and re-install any software you had installed yourself. Easier I think just to re-install your applications.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

I'm willing to say that you are going to have to reinstall all Microsoft and third-party applications that didn't make it through this upgrade.

I find this situation quite peculiar since the only time I'd seen this happen before was when 1511 came out, and it was common, but the 1607 upgrade didn't do this to anyone that I'm aware of.

The following is not meant as throwing salt in an already nasty wound, but as a cautionary tale to other readers:  This is why you must get an external backup drive and take regular backups including a full system image.  Even if you have system restore turned on, that could mean nothing if you have a drive crash.  I tell my clients that if they want to be as close to sure as they can be to be able to get their systems back "as they were" that they need to have System Restore active and they need to do a full backup with system image at points in time where they've done enough work (e.g., installing programs, customizing their interfaces, storing passwords, etc.) that they'd cry and tear their hair out if it were necessary to do it again.  Between those times it's still essential to be making user data backups.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 kgray6789

kgray6789
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the reply!  I am reinstalling all of the programs.  My main problem now is reinstalling MS Office.  I had a version paid for by my previous employer and now have to find a new way to get it to use now for my current job as a private contractor.  

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,608 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

May I ask if you posted this on the Windows 10 forums? If you did not then there is somebody else with the same problem. 

#6 kgray6789

kgray6789
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

No, that wasn't me, but it sounds like the exact same problem.  Glad to hear I'm not alone.  Thanks for letting me know!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,608 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:30 PM

No problem, but that definitely is scary. If any more posts like this show up I would think they would be raising red flags at Microsoft.

#8 kgray6789

kgray6789
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

You would think!  However, I have read that Microsoft is refusing to comment on anything, so I'm not sure what they are doing to address the situation.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,608 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

With a class action suit brewing against Microsoft regarding Windows 10 I highly doubt they would admit to something that would make the outcome worse for them.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,829 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

kgray,

Unless you feel you absolutely must have MS-Office (and I could understand that) it's well worth considering Libre Office or a couple of other alternative office suites.  Virtually all of them are fully capable of opening files created by Microsoft Office and some can even save them in that format, though most will convert to one of the open-source formats (which, by the way, Office itself can open and save in).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#11 kgray6789

kgray6789
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the info!!!

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,829 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

With a class action suit brewing against Microsoft regarding Windows 10 I highly doubt they would admit to something that would make the outcome worse for them.

The comments section after the article are as interesting, if not more so, than the article itself.  They also seem to be more insightful than the attorney that agreed to take this case.  I give it very little chance of going anywhere, particularly in light of the EULA (if one has bothered to even give it a cursory read).  The comment by, "Allen," which is currently showing as the first, could have come from my own fingers (but didn't).

Edited by britechguy, 26 March 2017 - 05:53 PM.

~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users