Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to find out what gets loaded on startup & how to know what to disable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

I am having a problem with a Word add-in that is causing the bibliography feature to malfunction. I am pretty sure I have narrowed it down to a template (tm8word.dot) associated with a piece of crap software named Time Matters. I have had a lot of problems with this software for a long time. I have disabled the add-in several times in Word, but it keeps re-enabling itself. I even located the template and renamed it.

Since I did not run the Time Matters program itself since rebooting, I am assuming that it is getting enabled by something that is getting loaded on startup. I opened the msconfig startup tab and did a screen capture on the contents. I don't see anything there that looks related to Time Matters. That screen capture is attached.

Can anyone tell me if anything there looks like it might be the culprit?

On a more general note, there are a lot of programs getting loaded on startup. How can I tell what each one does and, more importantly, which ones I can disable or delete without dire consequences?

Thanks for any help

Attached File  WinXP 20170326 1047 MSCONFIG Startup tab.jpg   525.38KB   0 downloads

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

You have a box there, just above the Google entries, with a tick in it but no description apart from a registry entry. I would be inclined to untick that box.

I use the tools in Ccleaner for this. If you have this little application if you click on 'Tools' the second entry down is 'Startup'. This contains three panels. The first is called 'Windows' and I would be inclined to leave these alone. The second is 'Scheduled tasks' and you can safely disable most of these, but if in doubt leave them enabled. The third is 'context menu' and most of these can be safely disabled. This merely means that they will run when you want them to but not otherwise, it does not disable the application it just stops it running at start up.

If you are familiar with Ccleaner it is a great little utility particularly for removing those temporary files that tend to build up. Just remember, you are strongly advised NOT to use the Registry Cleaner tool which is included in it.

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:22 PM

I do have CCleaner. I installed the latest version and ran it. I didn't see anything that looked like it was associated with Time Matters.

After a little research, I discovered that TM has an option to uninstall the Office add-ins. I think that would be a better solution. But when I tried it, I ran into a little problem.

I have TM installed on two machines that are on a P2P network. The master installation is on the workstation. The laptop can access the master installation when it is connected to the network and a clone when not.

I tried resetting the Word add-in option from the workstation. But it wouldn't stay put. I would uncheck the box and click OK, but when I reopened it, it was checked again.

Then I was told that what I need to do it start TM as the administrator. That is, right-click the program icon and select "run as administrator". When I do that, it (Windows) asks me for the administrator password. I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is. I haven't needed to log in as the administrator since I bought the machines, because I run with administrator privileges on both machines.

A couple of questions:

What is the difference between running as the administrator and running under another account with administrator privileges?

Is there any way on earth to find out what the administrator password is or, failing that, to reset it?

Thanks

Edited by Cynthia Moore, 27 March 2017 - 10:05 AM.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

You have another topic running on the question of the administrator password to which John_C has replied. Go with him on this one, he knows more about passwords - a lot more - than I do.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 27 March 2017 - 04:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users