Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 automatic repair/OS help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tatltael

tatltael

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

So today I tried to get on my PC and I was greeted with the automatic repair loop. If I restart, it starts again. None of the troubleshooting options work. I've put in every line of command prompts that I've found to be helpful in and none have seemed to work.

The "continue" button in troubleshooting says underneath it "Exit and continue to" and then is blank. It SHOULD say windows 10, but for some reason it just doesn't. When I press the button anyways, it restarts the PC, brings me to the "Oh no! your PC has run into a problem and will restart" screen with the error code CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. and then restarts and goes back to the automatic repair loop. 

I have one 250GB HDD which has windows vista business edition and another one that I actually use that is 1TB and has windows 10 on it. Windows vista works fine, but windows 10 just doesn't show up, as mentioned before. The only solution I could think of so far is re-installing windows. BUT when I try to reset and keep my files (or get rid of them completely) it says there was an error and nothing was changed.

I have no idea what is going on and would really appreciate some help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

You posted that you have used commands in the Command Prompt, have you tried running sfc /scannow form the Command Prompt?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 tatltael

tatltael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Yes. I tried again now and it said it cannot perform the requested operation.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

What still functions with this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 tatltael

tatltael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:51 PM

sorry for the late response, but basically all I can do is stay on the automatic repair/troubleshooting pages. Windows vista works fine still but it's as if windows 10 just got erased somehow.

everything else works just fine though

Edited by tatltael, 26 March 2017 - 03:51 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

How to stop endless repair in Windows 10

You will need the Windows 10 installation media for your version of Windows 10.  If you do not have the installation media you can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on different PC.

There should be an option to choose the version of Windows you have installed, choose the proper version.

Follow the instructions and you should be good to go.

Place you installation media in the appropriate port or drive and restart the computer.  You should see the message Press any key to continue, press any key.  If you do not receive this message you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS.  The first device in the boot order will be either be a disc drive for a installation disc or a USB port for installation media installed on a flash drive.  The second devic in the boot order will be the SSD/Hdd.

When you see the Install Windows page tap/click on Repair your computer to start the Windows Recovery Environment.

In the Windows Recovery Environment you will see Choose an option screen, tap/click on
Troubleshoot.

Tap/click on Advanced options, then select Startup Repair.

After running the Startup Repair restarts the computer to see if this has resolved the problem.

Edited by dc3, 26 March 2017 - 04:13 PM.

#7 tatltael

tatltael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

The link redirects me to a download of an ISO file of windows 10, since I'm using OS X. What should I do from here?

also, I have a USB with windows 10 on it already. should I try reinstalling with that?

#8 tatltael

tatltael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:28 PM

I did all the steps and startup repair couldn't fix it. What should I do now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users