Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ricky226

ricky226

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:16 AM

Greetings

I have problems with my desktop Intel computer recently. Some of my old keyboard's keys do not work at all. So i decided to buy a new

one of a different company. This time my new keyboard's keys work well , but there is new problem : it types don its own in specific

intervals. What could be the matter ?

Thanks in advance

* My keyboards are wired , USB type

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

I don't exactly understand what you mean, "types on its own", but I will assume that you have a stuck key that occasionally will not release when pressed. That should not happen on a brand new keyboard unless you spilled something on it. I suggest that you return it before the return date policy of the store you bought it from passes.  Or.....it may be a faulty return under the key; most of these keyboards have a plastic formed "bump" under teach key. When pressed down it collapses, and when the key is released it pops back up, returning the key to normal position. If some of these are faulty from the factory and do not return the key to position you will get the "repeated letter" appearing on the screen.

As an alternative, try taking a paper towel, moisten (not dripping-soak) an edge of it in alcohol and rub it deep as possible between the rows of keys. If it is dirt or something spilled on the keyboard that may help. Otherwise, I would return it.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 ricky226

ricky226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:04 AM

I don't exactly understand what you mean, "types on its own", but I will assume that you have a stuck key that occasionally will not release when pressed. That should not happen on a brand new keyboard unless you spilled something on it. I suggest that you return it before the return date policy of the store you bought it from passes.  Or.....it may be a faulty return under the key; most of these keyboards have a plastic formed "bump" under teach key. When pressed down it collapses, and when the key is released it pops back up, returning the key to normal position. If some of these are faulty from the factory and do not return the key to position you will get the "repeated letter" appearing on the screen.

As an alternative, try taking a paper towel, moisten (not dripping-soak) an edge of it in alcohol and rub it deep as possible between the rows of keys. If it is dirt or something spilled on the keyboard that may help. Otherwise, I would return it.

"Types on its own" means keyboard does work  and type some characters by itself , easy to understand ! i tested both keyboard s on my laptop and they work well. i guess this is my desktop pc problem . but what problem and how to solve it ? I also tested different USB port s but the same story happens

Edited by ricky226, 26 March 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:23 AM

Are the typed characters the same ones repeated in a pattern of some kind or random? 

I also tested different USB port s

Do you mean that you used a USB keyboard plugged in to different USB ports with the same result?

Try switching out the keyboard with a different one....do you still have the same problem?

Check your language settings: Start icon, in the search box type region and language >Keyboards and Languages tab: check that English/United States is enabled, and no other added settings.

If no joy, try a system restore to a date immediately before this problem started. Possibly a corruption of some kind.

Edited by ranchhand_, 27 March 2017 - 07:37 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 ricky226

ricky226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

Are the typed characters the same ones repeated in a pattern of some kind or random? 

Do you mean that you used a USB keyboard plugged in to different USB ports with the same result?

Try switching out the keyboard with a different one....do you still have the same problem?

Check your language settings: Start icon, in the search box type region and language >Keyboards and Languages tab: check that English/United States is enabled, and no other added settings.

If no joy, try a system restore to a date immediately before this problem started. Possibly a corruption of some kind.

Yes , I tested both the old and new keyboards on different usb ports of my desktop pc , i still have the problem. 90 % of the old one 's keys do not work , the new one works but types on its own.

The new one does 2 things repeatedly through fixed and specific  intervals : opening  search window and calculator and typing number 8. I'm sure both the keyboards are OK because they work well on my laptop. I also formatted all drives and installed a fresh OS but nothing changes , so I'm also sure it is not of virus stuff

#6 ricky226

ricky226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

Could it be because of PC power unit failure ? I tested voltage of usb ports ; nearly 5.8 volts 

My usb mouse works well , I also tested USB flash memories ; no problem with them.

Edited by ricky226, 27 March 2017 - 10:30 AM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:58 AM

At this point I am afraid that I have no clear idea of the problem cause. If it were my computer, first I would try a system restore as I mentioned above, and if that did not help I would start testing all components 1x1 until the only things left were the CPU or the motherboard. Another thing you could try is if you have another OS installed on another drive, boot that and see if the keyboard does the same thing. If so, you definitely have a hardware problem. As an alternative, you could try booting a virtual OS such as Fat Dog, Knoppix, etc. and see if the problem persists. If it stops, the problem is in the OS, possibly a file corruption. If it persists, you have a hardware problem.

Other than those suggestions, I have no further ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users