Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot from HD

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 FabricOfLife

FabricOfLife

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:15 AM

I am having some serious problems with my computer. My windows stopped working, it just freezes for indefinite amounts of time and I hear klak-ing sounds coming from the hd when it tries to boot. This had happened before, so Ithought it was the HD dying and got a new one to have as spare. In the meantime I formated and the disk was working again like new. Run many check disk programs that could find no issues. But after a month or so, windows died again. Again klaking sounds coming from the disk. Until it wouldn't boot at all.

So I connected the new HD. I had installed windows already and drivers, so that in case of an emergency, like now...., I have a healthy system to go online.

But pc won't load windows from the new hd. Its stuck in repairing for hours. I tried to reinstall. Doesn't work. Now it wont even boot from the hd. Probably because I formatted.....

I get error 0xc000000f when I try to boot from the hd

I get 0x80070003 when I try to install windows.

Now I inserted an ancient usb I had, as I was looking for a linux usb, which had windows though, and for some weird reasons, seems to be working in installing the os (remains to be seen if it completes....).

Anyone has any idea what may be wrong with my computer and its behaving like that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FabricOfLife

FabricOfLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:27 AM

Now I got the error:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

Edit:
Never seen anything like that in my life. It looks like its trying to set up windows from the new hd but its freezing as if it was old and damaged. Same behaviour like the other disk.

Edited by FabricOfLife, 26 March 2017 - 05:39 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:59 AM

https://neosmart.net/wiki/0xc000000f-error-read-boot-configuration-data/

0x80070003 is a typical Windows Update error.

I would suspect a hard drive problem...or a problem with the install.  I would just wipe it and attempt to install Windows again, after satisfying myself that the drive is serviceable.

BC BSODs Posting Instructions - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Louis

#4 FabricOfLife

FabricOfLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:04 AM

I installed windows on a brand new drive and it is also freezing every 5 seconds.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

Hi,

Is this from a Laptop or Desktop? please post the brand and model of the machine if its a custom made post the motherboard brand and model.

If you have a linux boot this check if it have an option to run memtest many include that, run the memory test for several passes, in some versions of memtest there is a message saying that a complete cycle of tests is done.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 FabricOfLife

FabricOfLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

It is a desktop computer.

The motherboard is Gigabyte 78mlt-s2.
The graphic card is nvidia geforce gt630. The processor is amd quadcore.

I managed to run 2 memtest programs with 2047 ram now on the new win installation. I ll try the linux usb afterwards to see if it has memtest.

If its futile testing the memory like this I can stop it and try to find a way to test at booting.

Btw, as I tried installing graphic card drivers, got blue screen and then it started checking disk for consistency. Moved orphan files etc... on a new disk!!

Edited by FabricOfLife, 26 March 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#7 FabricOfLife

FabricOfLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

Having a bit of bad luck. It says boot error when i try to boot from the linux usb that has memtest86 in.

Now it opens windows and cant load the desktop. It shows a black desktop.

I removed one of the rams to see what will happen and it says disk read error. Going to try the other one.....

#8 FabricOfLife

FabricOfLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

Removed the other ram and it booted fast. Is stuck in starting windows now.

Does it matter in which slot the one ram is?

Update: running mem test86 from a new usb over night. Tomorrow should show if there's a problem.

Edited by FabricOfLife, 26 March 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

Hi,

Is this your motherboard? http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-S2-rev-11#ov

Sometimes the slot here the memory is its important others not a big deal but only the motherboard manual can tell.

Running a memory test from outside Windows is better because it avoids any problem related with Windows drivers...

Keeps the things simple use only the on-board graphics card until the machine can run stable.

Are you doing any overclock on the processor? If you are reset to the default settings. Accessing the BIOS and doing a reset to default settings its something to try.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#10 FabricOfLife

FabricOfLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:46 AM

I have been running memetest86 for 14 hours now. 5 passes, no errors.

It says CPU started 4, CPU active 1. Is this normal?

The motherboard you linked does have the same name as mine. Actually, I posted this thread a couple of weeks ago. It has a link to the stats of the pc, as I still had access to an OS then: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/641841/flashplugin-reaches-24-gb-memory/?fromsearch=1

I am sure there is an underlining problem that causes all the problems I had and even destroys perfectly fine disks. Or makes them appear that way.

I don't see any other alternative than bringing my pc to repair. I don't know what else to check.

It won't even boot from a linux usb i have.

I may keep memtest86 running for a few more passes.

Edit: no idea what overclock is. Never messed with the bios apart from changing boot priorities.

Edited by FabricOfLife, 27 March 2017 - 02:47 AM.

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,125 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:57 AM

I have been running memetest86 for 14 hours now. 5 passes, no errors.

That seems good. Did you run the test with both dimms?

It says CPU started 4, CPU active 1. Is this normal?

I think so, if I remember correctly memtest will switch cores during the tests.

The motherboard you linked does have the same name as mine. Actually, I posted this thread a couple of weeks ago. It has a link to the stats of the pc, as I still had access to an OS then: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/641841/flashplugin-reaches-24-gb-memory/?fromsearch=1

I am sure there is an underlining problem that causes all the problems I had and even destroys perfectly fine disks. Or makes them appear that way.

I don't see any other alternative than bringing my pc to repair. I don't know what else to check.

It won't even boot from a linux usb i have.

I may keep memtest86 running for a few more passes.

Visually check the motherboard capacitors to see if any of them are leaking

http://www.thenakedpc.com/dan/Bulging_Capacitors/close-up.jpg

Edit: no idea what overclock is. Never messed with the bios apart from changing boot priorities.

From the Wikipedia...

Overclocking is configuration of computer hardware components to operate faster than certified by the original manufacturer, with "faster" specified as clock frequency in megahertz (MHz) or gigahertz (GHz). Commonly operating voltage is also increased to maintain a component's operational stability at accelerated speeds. However semiconductor devices operated at a higher frequencies and voltages generate additional heat, so most overclocking attempts increase power consumption and heat. An overclocked device may be unreliable or fail completely if the additional heat load is not removed or power delivery components cannot meet increased power demands. Many device warranties state that overclocking and/or over-specification voids any warranty.

Enter the BIOS and confirm that the Hard Disk controller is set to AHCI mode.

According to the motherboard manual (page 39) you should create a floppy disk with the Hard Disk controller and provide the driver to windows during install.

The driver is available on the Gigabyte website http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-S2-rev-11#support-dl

under SATA RAID/AHCI

___
Rui

#12 FabricOfLife

FabricOfLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:56 AM

Yep, both memories are inside. I'll let the test complete 24 hours and then stop it and try other stuff.

It sounds weird to me that I need to get drivers from the motherboard on a floppy. I don't have a floopy drive.

I checked the capacitors which look fine.

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,125 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:14 AM

Yep, both memories are inside. I'll let the test complete 24 hours and then stop it and try other stuff.

It sounds weird to me that I need to get drivers from the motherboard on a floppy. I don't have a floopy drive.

Not strange at all when you have hardware that need drivers not included on the Windows installation disk or the ones included on Windows are not 100% compatible.

In AHCI mode specific drivers for the controller are needed, when you install Windows it will not see any HDD or it gives a BSOD!

Its possible to create an updated Windows 7 installation disk that includes the needed driver

http://www.win-raid.com/t750f25-Guide-Integration-of-drivers-into-a-Win-image.html

I checked the capacitors which look fine.

Good.

___
Rui

#14 FabricOfLife

FabricOfLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:38 AM

Do you mean in advanced controllers>onchip sata type?

The selection there is native ide and not ahci.

#15 FabricOfLife

FabricOfLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:44 AM

I just fear there is hardware problem because the system worked in the past. What changed that led to this?

Should it not be enough to install the motherboard drivers after the windows installation? Why didn't it even see the new disk and almost didn't let me install windows?

Could it be that me not using the motherboard drivers for a couple of months on a healthy windows, led to hardware damage???

Is there any other tool i can run from a bootable stick to see if something other than the memory is wrong?

I also want to thank you Sleepydude for your replies. I realise I am a noob, i m just trying to make some sense of why my system died.And if the mistake was mine how to avoid it in the future.

Edit: I disconnected the cdrom and windows opened. Still freezing though. Also removed one ram. Not sure it makes a difference.

A friend told me it should be using ahci. He urged me to change the setting and format. May as well try.

Edited by FabricOfLife, 27 March 2017 - 07:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users