Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PFN_list_corrupt when playing certain games.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 daffy1234

daffy1234

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:24 AM

When playing certain games (e.g. The Talos Principle) my computer will throw a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT blue screen error after about 30-45 minutes of playing. The computer is very stable other than that. I've had this problem for a while, but it's only on certain games. Other games, such as Skyrim, don't ever crash the system.

I'm caught up on updates and I've ran Malwarebytes and found nothing.

Specs:

Spoiler

Thanks for any help

Attached Files

Edited by daffy1234, 26 March 2017 - 02:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 daffy1234

daffy1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:34 AM

I just tried uninstalling all Nvidia software (except Geforce Experience) and reinstalling the display driver and physx (excluding hd audio and 3d vision). It didn't work. After about 30 minutes of playing The Talos Principle, the game crashed with "Talos has stopped working", then a system_service_exception blue screen happened when I clicked "close the program".

Attached is the newest dump file.

Attached Files

#3 daffy1234

daffy1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

Tried running the same game with lower settings (Windowed mode and using Direct3d 9 instead of 11). Got a strange blue screen error. No error message, but it was apparently caused by ntfs.sys.

Attached Files

Edited by daffy1234, 28 March 2017 - 05:15 PM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

Hi, daffy1234,

Please do this:

:step1: Check Disk

WARNING: It is recommended that you backup ALL your files. If CHKDSK finds and repairs a corrupted sector, you may lose your data.

• Click Start, enter cmd.exe in the Search box, right-click on cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator..
  • Type the following command and hit ENTER:
chkdsk /R
  • You should see this message:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
  • Type Y and hit Enter on your keyboard.
  • Restart your computer and CHKDSK will run.

Once CHKDSK is compete, we need the log:

• Click Start, enter powershell.exe in the Search box, right-click on powershell.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Copy this command:
Get-WinEvent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file $Env:UserProfile\Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt
  • Right-click in Powershell to paste the command.
  • You will find CHKDSKResults.txt on your Desktop. Copy/paste that log in your next reply.

Also, will you please run Seagate SeaTools for Windows? Be sure to run the S.M.A.R.T. and Long Generic tests. :thumbup2:

Regards,

bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 28 March 2017 - 08:48 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 daffy1234

daffy1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

Hey bwv848,

I have a chkdsk running right now. On my other computers, it usually takes a max of 45 minutes, but on this computer it's taking hours. How long should I allow it to run? If it goes past that time, is it a bad idea to power off and on the computer to cancel the scan?

I've done a S.M.A.R.T. test with Seatools, it only said "Passed" without much more information. I didn't run the long generic tests yet.

Thanks

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

Hi, daffy1234,

That's a potential sign of a faulty hard drive. I'd let CHKDSK continue if you're running it now. Stopping it halfway could corrupt your data. But if you haven't run it, please completely disregard for now, and run SeaTools's Long Generic Test. Be sure you test all the drives, not just the one that Windows is installed on.

Regards,

bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 28 March 2017 - 10:24 PM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#7 daffy1234

daffy1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:53 PM

Unfortunately, I already started the chkdsk. If my estimation is correct, I suspect it'll take around 8 hours. SeaTools says the long generic test will take around 4 hours as well, though I didn't run it before running the chkdsk.

Could a faulty hard drive really be causing this? I understand it can cause blue screen errors, but I don't understand how it can cause them in very specific circumstances, such as playing very specific games. (By the way, I have reinstalled these games multiple times. If the BSOD is being caused by the game existing in a bad sector, that should have taken care of it, I believe.)

Also, I forgot to mention in my last post, all of my files are backed up.

#8 daffy1234

daffy1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:06 AM

The CHKDSK completed and I'm now doing the long general tests from seatools. In the meantime, here's the CHKDSK results.

Attached Files

#9 daffy1234

daffy1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:02 AM

The long general test is done and it passed. I can't find any additional log files for it. If you know where they are, if there are any, I'll be happy to upload them.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

Can you provide me with the latest dumps?

#11 daffy1234

daffy1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

From C:\Windows\minidump correct? That's the ones I got, if you need something else let me know.

These ones are from the last week, all of them pertain to this same issue. I have older dumps but a handful of them are unrelated.

Attached Files

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

Thanks; please run MemTest86 for a minimum of eight passes. You can find a guide here if you need help.

#13 daffy1234

daffy1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

I'm running memtest86 right now. Is it necessary to do eight passes? I'm 95% the way through the first pass without errors. It's taken 2 and a half hours. If it keeps that rate, it'll take about 20 hours to do 8 passes. I doubt this is because of failing memory, since there are no errors (yet) and it's fairly fast, I just have a lot of memory to test (32gb).

Is there another, quicker mode of testing that's sufficient? Or would fewer passes be acceptable?

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

Yes, it needs to be run for at least eight passes, no matter what. :)

Regards,

bwv848

#15 daffy1234

daffy1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

Ouch, well, I'll get back to you in about a day in that case :P Seriously though, thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users