Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best quality ext. HDD?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

I'm still very much a novice on these boards and in the PC world.

My biggest fear is 1 day loosing all our family photos and videos.
My main rig has a 4tb HGST int. HDD <--- there are only photos and videos on this.  No O.S or software.

I have a 5 year old toshiba ext. HD with 500gb.  Works smooth and like new.
I have  almost 3 year old toshiba ext HD with 2tb.  Runs very very slow.  And sometimes not at all.

Can someone recommend me a good quality ext. HD.
I'm paranoid 1 drive will die so I have no problem buying another as a back up.

Ive done many google searches and lots of mixed opinions and reviews.  I hear a lot of negative about seagate, then WD.
But what brand is the best to go with?

Not interested in cloud storage.
Dont want family photos and videos out there.

Thanks everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Several observations:

1.  My experience has been that "full-sized desktop" external hard disc drives are far less reliable than the compact ones originally meant for use with laptops and for carrying around are.  (My 2TB Toshiba Canvio that's at least 3 years old, probably 4, works just like your 500 GB one - like the first day I got it).

2.  I have had better luck with Toshiba internal and external drives than others.  I will never touch Fantom again.

3.  If you have the room on your 4GB internal HDD, have you considered copying over the material on that Toshiba 2TB unit and reformatting it?  If this drive has been used extensively, and not defragged routinely, at that size seek times can get very slow once the drive is thoroughly fragmented and if it's close to full you'd be better off transferring the data and reformatting it once empty.  You might be surprised at how it performs afterward and know what to do to prevent this kind of slowdown again.  At least that's true if what I surmise is one of the factors - it could be dying for all I know - but you can run tests to check that, too, and really should just so you have hard data on the state of the drive.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:27 PM

Do yourself a favor and purchase a bare drive and enclosure. The portable drives today integrate the USB bridge card with the drive's PCB so if the bridge card fails or the USB connector soldered to the PCB is damaged you are out of luck for recovering your data. Also, WDs large desktop external drives have proprietary bridge cards that encrypt the data. If that fails you are also out of luck. It may be possible to swap the drives cards but it does not work all the time. That is why I recommend purchasing a bare drive with an appropriate enclosure.

As far as drive quality, today's platter drives are junk compared to what they were 10 years ago. HGST is good as well as the WD reds.

https://community.wd.com/t/wd-my-book-duo-data-forever-lost-if-drive-enclosure-dies/6496

http://carltonbale.com/western-digital-mybook-drive-lock-encryption-failure-and-recovery/

Video of a person who had issues with a WD drive failure.

There are only three manufactures of platter drives left. HGST is a division of WD.

300px-Diagram_of_Hard_Disk_Drive_Manufac

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 March 2017 - 01:31 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

First, thanks John for the diagram related to platter drives.   Like most (and, yes, I do mean most) industries there remain far more brand names that are kept for marketing and reputation purposes than there are actual manufacturers of what gets sold under those brands.

Second, I just decided to follow my own advice with regard to checking the fragmentation level on my Canvio 2TB drive, which is used almost exclusively for backups and is not connected when not in use (as if I were, god forbid, to ever somehow get ransomware I want it to have no access to that backup drive).  Color me surprised, but not shocked, when it came back from analysis as 24% fragmented.  It should probably be worse than that given how long the things been in use and on a number of computers, too.  She's defragmenting as I type.  Heaven knows how many hours it's going to take to complete but I'm really curious to see how long it does take.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

As much as you dislike the cloud, it is a very good place to back up your data.  Your current back up plan is missing the most important part of a good back up plan, an off site copy.

The cloud solution doesn't have to be the normal Google Picture, One Drive, or iCloud.  I use Carbonite.  I encrypt my data locally before I send it to Carbonite for backup.  It does make the solution a little more complex and limit its availability, but my data is my own.

For local backups I use a Drobo 5N, which also allowed me to use some of the extra drives I have sitting around.  Prior, I was using a Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2 4 Bay 3.5” SATA HDD Enclosure, which didn't offer the redundancy of the Drobo.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

As much as you dislike the cloud, it is a very good place to back up your data.  Your current back up plan is missing the most important part of a good back up plan, an off site copy.

In absolute terms you are correct.   In relative terms, and probabilistic terms, cloud backup for stuff like family photos, etc., is probably overkill.

One could place one's backup drive in a fireproof box between backups, though.

For me, a backup plan is all about the value of the data and the probability of loss under typical circumstances.  In the grand scheme of things most of us are quite unlikely to lose our homes or places of business due to fire, flood, or other catastrophe.  The level of redundancy and recoverability needed by a multi-national business and a home user are vastly different, as are the risks associated with actual loss of data.

For myself, I do not encrypt anything other than what it's essential to encrypt.  I have seen enough disasters secondary to unnecessary encryption where decryption became impossible that I do not recommend it other than where it is essential (e.g. password safes, sensitive client data [and I mean sensitive], and the like).

Everyone should do their homework and decide what's needed based on their own need for security and redundancy in light of the risk posed by a potential permanent loss of data.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

One could place one's backup drive in a fireproof box between backups, though.

The problem with that concept is that you need a media fireproof box, something a lot of people don't find out about, until it is too late.  A standard fireproof safe only needs to keep the temperature below 451 degrees Fahrenheit (thanks Ray Bradbury).  Unfortunately backup media will be destroyed at a much lower temperature.  Poking around it looks like most fireproof boxes seem to claim to protect media.  The internal temperature looks to be below 125 degrees Fahrenheit for media.

Most people who I know who have lost their family photos would pay any amount to get them back.

I only mentioned encryption as it prevents others from accessing your pictures / data.  I agree it is overkill for the average user, but for those who don't trust anyone, it is an available option for a cloud based solution.

Another option is to give other members of your family copies of the pictures.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

When it comes down to it, each person has to make their own risk assessment.  They need to make that using accurate weighting of the risks and their tolerance for loss in light of those - that's all I'm saying.

I lived through a major flood, but my family's home happened to be on top of a mountain, but I know about losing things that are of immense sentimental value and do not underestimate the initial void that leaves.  That being said, these photos are not your memories - your memories are your memories, and most people who've suffered through this kind of devastating loss figure that out as a direct result even though the pain at the time of loss is huge.

All that being said, I have made it a practice to give my other family members the digitized copies of our family photo album as I've been doing that.  I need to get back to that task one of these days again soon.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

I wanted to restore a file from Carbonite yesterday and didn't see an easy way to just restore one file, without allowing them to hold my encryption key.  Since you can't give them the key, get your file and then change your key I restored from my local back up. 

Lifehacker just ran a question and answer session about backups.  Please remember that the person answering the questions works for Seagate.  There was an answer that Seagate uses the same drives in their externals as they sell of their desktops.  I can verify that as I normally purchase the Seagate externals and pull the drives for use in my machine.  I save $20 to $40 a drive doing it this way.  Unfortunately if you're looking for a specific model of drive this won't work for you. 

#10 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

With so many sources of free cloud storage accounts, and, a variety of encryption products available for free (7ZIp, Glary Utilities, Veracrypt), unless you are running for national office and storing some pretty iincriminating photos, I consider it a mistake to discount cloud storage, especially of the free variety. (Back up your priceless photos to DVD as well, as certainly several hundreds or thousands of reasonably sized photos will fit on each 50 cent disk providing yet another medium for storing data...

But it is certainly wise to not rely on ANY single drive, spinning or solid state, as a foolproof method of storage. (It takes but a single successful cryptolocker variant to make it thru and be accidentally executed to effectively destroy every attached drive's contents)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#11 frldyz

frldyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:57 AM

Wow. Thanks for all the replies guys.  Lots to think about.

The only reason I want so much secure/reliable back up is, like I said family photos/videos are priceless to us.

Like most families our memories are priceless.  If anything we take too many photos of us.  I think in the last 3 years I have filled up 2tb already.  I could easily bring that down to 1 if I went thru all our photos and videos and got rid of the excess.  I just can't imagine loosing those memories.

I did purchase a safety deposit box @ our bank.  I just need to use it.

I did purchase some M-disc DVDs to store our pictures/videos. 25gb discs.

I did put in an LG M-disc optical drive when I built my computer.

I'm just not sure how to use it.  When I put the DVD in the drive it does not read it.

I'm running windows.  I'm not sure if I need special software.

#12 digipointer

digipointer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:02 AM

So are you ran out of computer storage or you need to store your photos, music and other files? There are a many types of external hard drives that you can select as per your needs. You can go for Toshiba's Canvio and perfectly works with both Mac and Windows hardware.

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

My personal back-up strategy consists of a pair of 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external USB 3.0 drives. These are used exclusively for backing up my personal data, as well as partition copies and/or save-files/folders from my Puppy Linux OSs.

One is kept at the back of the bottom drawer of our big cupboard in the study.

The other is kept over at my sister's house, 15 miles away. That's my 'offsite' storage.

And that's in addition to various large-capacity flash drives all over the place.....!

And before anybody starts berating me for using Seagate drives, I've been using them for more years than I care to remember......and have never once had a significant problem with them.

Of course, YMMV.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 March 2017 - 02:46 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

Mike_Walsh wrote, in part:  And before anybody starts berating me for using Seagate drives . . .

Mike, you ignorant fool!!  How could you possibly use Seagate drives!!   :wink:

There's a reason that different brands exist and different people have loyalties to each of them.  Would that more lived by the precept embodied in:  Chacun à son goût.

#15 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

@Britechguy:-

TNZOlfq.gif

Touchè, mon ami.....  :lol:

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users