Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learning more about Operating Systems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chrislw324

Chrislw324

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:54 AM

This isn't so much a windows 7 question as it is a general windows question. 

I want to know more about operating systems. I don't know exactly what it is I want to learn about them or what to search for, but here are some examples of questions I have.

For example, I installed Python and was not able to get pip to work because it wasn't in my "system path." I don't know what a system path is.

Another example of what I want to learn is what are all these hierarchy of folders are in my drive such as "perflogs" "program files" "program files (x86)" "tasks" temp" "system" etc etc. In regards to this, I guess I'm looking for some information that tells me "Your _____ folder contains all of window's ____. If you click it, you'll find a folder named ____ which is where windows stores all _____."

What are some books, youtube lectures, or anything else where I can learn these things?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

System Path question: Windows is extremely organized (as you know already) in order for it to follow a logical, orderly method in accessing, executing and running various programs. Otherwise it would not function on every computer, nor would 3rd party programs run or even be installed.  The system path your Python error message refers to is the directory, sub-directory and system file where that Pip file is supposed to be in, but it is not there. I know nothing about Python, but I suggest reinstalling it.

The Program files (x86) directory is where all 32 bit programs (and many 64 bit programs) are installed to. If you scroll down that directory you will find the names of the majority of installed programs on your computer (not including Windows-that has a separate directory all its own further down Explore). The Program Files directory just above the x86 directory is where most of the 64 bit programs are installed to, but not necessarily all of them. I have found 64 bit programs also installed in the x86 directory.

To start answering all questions about Windows would take far more time and space than this forum is intended for. Here is a link to a site that has many aspects of Windows in it. The internet, including Youtube, is loaded with Windows tutorials. Just search "Windows tutorial" and you will have dozens of options offered.

Edited by ranchhand_, 25 March 2017 - 11:45 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

And also Ijust to learn about operating systems in general I suggest that the OP try out and use several different Linux distros to get a hands on feel to different operating systems, especially if they are messing with Python.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

Google is the ultimate way of acquiring superficial and detailed info about such, IMO.  Supplementing that data with hands-on experimentation should resolve many questions that may occur...for any particular O/S.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users