Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding duplicate files in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:39 PM

I would think there would be a utility in Windows 10 to find duplicate files. I think DOS had a command to do this.

I searched online and there seems to be some archaic programs to do this, but I'd rather not download anything just to do this.

Then I found Ccleaner, which I already have on my machine does this. I'm puzzled though; what Ccleaner finds is apparently an exact duplicate, same size, created at the exact same time.

But when I go to the actual location of these files (following the path that's displayed in Ccleaner), I see a vastly different size for each one, and different creation dates.

Edited by RbtCmpt, 25 March 2017 - 01:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:22 AM

I don't think any DOS command can help you find duplicated files one can create a batch script to compare file sizes but this is not good way to find duplicated files. There are lots of good program you can use to find duplicated files check out below url link.

http://lifehacker.com/the-best-duplicate-file-finder-for-windows-1696492476  

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 RenoGeek

RenoGeek

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

There are a bunch of programs to find dupes in Windows and yes there were batch files in Dos using the FC (file compare) that kind of did the same thing.

But if your looking for dupes with the same name scattered over your hard drive, Windows already has this functionality built in.

Click on your yellow folder icon in the taskbar (Windows libraries) the click on "My PC) in the left hand panel. then click on your "C Drive" in the right hand panel.

Last, inside the box on the top right of the window type in the file name and give windows a few seconds. You should then see a list of all the files with the same name.  

I am not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly. 

Have you backed up today? Did you backup your backup?

Virus Removal Guides

Computer Technician Checklist

Microsoft Safety & Security Center

#4 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

Thanks. I'm not looking for a specific file. I've got dozens if not hundreds of them scattered all over the hard drive and need to clean it up.

Ccleaner seems to do an adequate job in finding duplicate files. I'm surprised it's not mentioned hardly anywhere.

However, the file size and creation date of the files themselves are different from what Ccleaner says AND different from each other. This is very strange.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

I haven't used CCleaner's duplicate file finder feature, but given that I have used a lot of its other features for years I suspect the dup file finder is as highly configurable as the others.

There is a chance that all it is doing is searching on file name, which would give you precisely the results you are seeing.  Check on what the settings are set to as it's clear that you want file content matching in the event of file name matches, but that if the contents are not the same then the files should not be considered duplicates.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#6 RenoGeek

RenoGeek

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

ok so for clean up CCleaner would be the way to go.

I am not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly. 

Have you backed up today? Did you backup your backup?

Virus Removal Guides

Computer Technician Checklist

Microsoft Safety & Security Center

#7 cralg7

cralg7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

Nowadays for duplicate files issue, we use DuplicateFilesDeleter. It's fast, accurate and easily customable depending on your need.

#8 Lvlpost

Lvlpost

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

If you want to find and clean up files the easy way, there’s no better tool for the job than Duplicate Cleaner Pro 4. It might not be free, but unlike the rest, it’s easy to use and comes chock full of features.

You can download a free trial at here https://digvolsoft.evyy.net/c/156932/241298/4088?subId1=contentad&subId2=200962

#9 FredLogster

FredLogster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:50 AM

I would recommend Duplicate Files Deleter program. It's surprisingly works and the best thing about this program is, it is not popping up for updates or fee or something like spam software that I hate, plus it's user friendly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users