Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is this number?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:05 PM

Hi guys. I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. I'm a bit of a begginer when it comes to internet connections and IPs and whatnot. It's a simple question. What is this number? Is there any danger if someone finds out about it? My problem is I sent the image to somebody I do not trust completely and now I'm worried.

Xrffng4.png

It's the speedtest.net webpage. The number I'm asking about is the one under the red square. It looks like an IP adress but I do not know of what. When I check my own it looks nothing like that (via CMD->ipconfig).

Thanks for your help and time.

Courage is fear trying to hold on a minute longer. We all need to find that extra minute inside ourselves if we're going to make it through this crisis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:14 PM

I don't see a number.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

I don't see a number.

I know, I covered it. It's supposed to be under that. That's why I mentioned the site. If you go there you'll se the number I'm talking about.

Courage is fear trying to hold on a minute longer. We all need to find that extra minute inside ourselves if we're going to make it through this crisis.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:25 PM

The IP address that's in the position of that red square is the IP address that your modem-router uses to connect to the outside world via your ISP.  It's also not something that it matters one whit whether someone else sees or not.

The tests being performed aren't really for your computer to the outside world, as on virtually any wireless LAN or wired ethernet connection from a computer to a router you have throughput that's much faster than your internet service to the world, which is provided by your modem-router.

In my case my ISP is Verizon and the modem-router is a D-Link 2750.  If I type 192.168.1.1 into the address of any web browser on my home network it will show me the main page of my modem-router's controls.  One of the thing it shows is the connection address of the modem-router to the outside world, which matches exactly what is shown in the Speedtest screen.  Speedtest can also generally tell who your ISP is based on the IP addresses that are assigned en masse for different ISPs to use (or at least I think that's the mechanism - I could be mistaken on that).  This is shown in approximately the position of the black block you have above your red block.  In my case it reads "Verizon Fios".

Edited by britechguy, 24 March 2017 - 10:26 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:27 PM

I think its you Ip address. does it look something like this 123.456.78.19

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:38 PM

The IP address that's in the position of that red square is the IP address that your modem-router uses to connect to the outside world via your ISP.  It's also not something that it matters one whit whether someone else sees or not.

The tests being performed aren't really for your computer to the outside world, as on virtually any wireless LAN or wired ethernet connection from a computer to a router you have throughput that's much faster than your internet service to the world, which is provided by your modem-router.

In my case my ISP is Verizon and the modem-router is a D-Link 2750.  If I type 192.168.1.1 into the address of any web browser on my home network it will show me the main page of my modem-router's controls.  One of the thing it shows is the connection address of the modem-router to the outside world, which matches exactly what is shown in the Speedtest screen.  Speedtest can also generally tell who your ISP is based on the IP addresses that are assigned en masse for different ISPs to use (or at least I think that's the mechanism - I could be mistaken on that).  This is shown in approximately the position of the black block you have above your red block.  In my case it reads "Verizon Fios".

I think you are right, because it doesn't match my own IP adress. So it would be something like this: My IP adress>The IP address you mentioned>The rest of the internet>The IP address>My IP adress. The same would go for people using my same provider and live nearby right?

Well it's reassuring to know that it doesn't matter if anyone knows about it. Thank you.

I think its you Ip address. does it look something like this 123.456.78.19

Hi! I'm no expert but I don't think that's the case. It does indeed look like that, but it doesn't match my own IP address. I'm just making this numbers up to help you understand me:

My IP address looks something like this> 196.168.1.XX (IPv4 address obtained from ipconfig CMD command)

The IP address there looks something like this> 190.190.XXX.XXX (IP address obtained from speedtest.net)

Thanks for your replies!

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:39 PM

Nick, 

What throws people is they're used to thinking of IP addresses in terms of what they see for devices on their LAN, which are generally 192.168.1.X or 10.0.0.X for a great many modem-routers sold here in the USA.

The IP address the modem-router gets assigned by the ISP generally looks very different.  In my case (and I should have mentioned that in my last post) it's 71.171.13.185, which bears no resemblance to the LAN IPs.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:58 PM

Nick, 

What throws people is they're used to thinking of IP addresses in terms of what they see for devices on their LAN, which are generally 192.168.1.X or 10.0.0.X for a great many modem-routers sold here in the USA.

The IP address the modem-router gets assigned by the ISP generally looks very different.  In my case (and I should have mentioned that in my last post) it's 71.171.13.185, which bears no resemblance to the LAN IPs.

So that number is my router's IP adress, only that it's not the one my computer assigns, but my provider? Is what I said before wrong?

So it would be something like this: My IP adress>The IP address you mentioned>The rest of the internet>The IP address>My IP adress.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:09 PM

Yes, what you said as your final statement is the essence of things.  Your router is what manages communication between your devices in your house to each other and from each individual device to the internet, both incoming and outgoing.

Edited by britechguy, 24 March 2017 - 11:43 PM.

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:16 AM

Yes, what you said as your final statement is the essence of things.  Your router is what manages communication between your devices in your house to each other and from each individual device to the internet, both incoming and outgoing.

Cool. Thanks, pal.

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

The number is your public IP address.  You should see the same number if you go to Whatismyip.com.  This is the IP Address for the WAN (Wide Area Network) side of your router.  The LAN (Local Area Network) side address would be something like 192.168.0.1.  You computer IP address might be 192.168.0.100.

The address would be used to connect to devices on your network from the Internet.  Port forwarding would most likely also have to be enabled.  So, lets say you wanted to connect to a security camera set up on your network from the Internet.  You would go to the number that is shown in the box, 190.190.123.123:8080 where 8080 is the port you have forwarded.  The port forwarding that you set up on the router would know that any requests that come in for port 8080 will get sent to the LAN address for the security camera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users