Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Access my External Hard Disk/Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aaaaaron

Aaaaaron

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

I cant access my External HDD, Its been a while since and now I need to use it and I cant find a way to fix this, I'm thinking this got infected by some virus but I can't remember when and how.
I tried re-formating it but nothing happens, it just keep on failing and failing.
I tried many ways but I can't do it. I was hoping that someone could help me step by step here, I'm so clueless when it comes to things like these.
Here are some of the Screenshots I took on the things I tried to do.

23hvmnk.png

2rlz1wy.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aaaaaron

Aaaaaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:24 AM

I also tried using the command prompt with the corresponding codes : attrib -h -r -s /s /d E:\*.* and the commands for checking the disk : chkdsk E: /r and chkdsk E: /f
but still I can't get access on the external hard disk.

23upxlf.png

xpx89t.png

Edited by Aaaaaron, 25 March 2017 - 07:33 AM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

The problem is E: is designated RAW but it should still be able to be formatted. Is there any data you need on the drive? You say you wish to format the drive.

If the data does not need to be recovered open a command prompt and type

diskpart    Opens the diskpart prompt

list disk

Post a screenshot.

#4 Aaaaaron

Aaaaaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

The problem is E: is designated RAW but it should still be able to be formatted. Is there any data you need on the drive? You say you wish to format the drive.

list disk

Post a screenshot.

I tried reformating my external hdd through cmd but got error

s6235y.png

Edited by Aaaaaron, 25 March 2017 - 10:12 AM.

#5 Aaaaaron

Aaaaaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

list disk

Post a screenshot.

Btw, here's the screenshot
16h94sj.png

#6 Aaaaaron

Aaaaaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

I tried cleaning it by following all the steps thoroughly here >http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005929en
but now after cleaning it seems like the external hard drive won't show up in my drive list in my computer anymore.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,215 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

That is because the drive has not been partitioned and formatted. From your diskpart image I am not sure why disk 0 and 1 both show as zero bytes free.

If you have cleaned the drive then I would download Partition Wizard and create a primary partition formatted NTFS in the unallocated space. It can be done with diskpart but it would be safer with Partition Wizard. All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual and do on complete until you click Apply.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,481 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

I'll second John's recommendation of Partition Wizard.  It is a lot more user-friendly (I'd never call this kind of work "intuitive") than the diskpart utility is and the visuals it gives really help (or at least they help me).

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users