Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I use the Narrator?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PC60dum

PC60dum

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

I only have W7 a couple of months and I only just found the Narrator. I tried it on a simple page. The page had a topic line and then a few paragraphs. I was using the Firefox browser which is up to date. Narrator wouldn't run so I pressed help and it said it doesn't work with Firefox unless I change something that I didn't understand. I had to go to config something, and I know from my old XP pc that config can mess things up unless I know exactly what I'm doing, and I don't.

So I tried Narrator with both the Chrome browser and then IE. Narrator read the title line of the page but that was all. I couldn't get it to read the rest of the page. I really need to figure out how to use Narrator bc I have cataracts or some eye problem and sometimes my vision is very blurry. 

Can someone explain to me how to make Narrator work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

Hello,

I would recommend that you do not use the Windows 7 version of Narrator if you anticipate using a screen reader on a consistent basis.  Narrator really wasn't "ready for prime time" back in Windows 7 and is just reaching something approaching very early maturity under Windows 10.  As a result, there are also fewer resources out there dedicated to learning how to use Narrator, particular the early iterations.

Take a look at the NVDA [Non-Visual Desktop Access] screen reader, which really is a world class screen reader at NVAccess.org.  It is available at no cost, though should you choose to use it on a permanent basis that you consider making a donation to further development of this tool.

Were you running Windows 10 it would make more sense to dig in to Narrator more deeply.  NVDA should, however, meet your needs and there is a lot of material available online in both audio and text format as far as tutorials.  A good place to begin is at http://accessibilitycentral.net, which offers tutorials on NVDA as well as using a number of other common programs like e-mail clients and web browsers with NVDA.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

By the way, if you're a user of a licensed copy of Microsoft Office 2010 or later, you also qualify for a free version of the Window Eyes screen reader (though I still prefer NVDA) which you can find here:  http://www.windoweyesforoffice.com/ 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 PC60dum

PC60dum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

Hello,

Take a look at the NVDA [Non-Visual Desktop Access] screen reader, which really is a world class screen reader at NVAccess.org.  It is available at no cost, though should you choose to use it on a permanent basis that you consider making a donation to further development of this tool.

Hello,

Just wanted to tell you that I downloaded NVDA so thank you for telling me about it. I had no idea there are other narrator programs besides the one that comes with W7. However I'm having all kinds of problems using NDVA. I think a lot of them are related to the fact that I don't understand the terminology they're using. For example, I'm not sure what they mean by the focus. Another problem is I don't have a printer and it would be a huge help if I could print out the pages with the instructions and the keyboard commands. I couldn't figure out how to get NVDA to read the entire page on it's own. I've only been able to get it to read as I move the mouse down. So I gave up, at least for now. It was too frustrating. I haven't even started it up in a week.

Nevertheless, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users