Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Flash Player update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NapoleonB

NapoleonB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:31 PM

Zone Alarm shows me a pop-up warning when Adobe Flash Player tries to update.

This warning says: "Adobe Flash Player Installer/Uninstaller 25.0 r0 is trying to change the system behaviour for executable files. This may allow a suspicious program to start every time you run any application."

About a week ago I allowed the Adobe Flash update and then the next time I tried to start my computer it did start, but it failed to show the desktop. I had only a blank (black) screen and after a few minutes the screen saver appeared. This made me believe that the computer had in fact started but the desktop screen was prevented from starting. So I restarted the computer in Safe Mode and used System Restore to restore the computer to an earlier time to remove the Adobe update and everything has been fine ever since. But now I get pop-up warnings at the top of most website pages that Adobe Flash Player is outdated. I want (and probably need) to update Adobe Flash Player but I don't want to have the same problem again.

So what does the warning that "changes to the system behaviour for executable files may allow a suspicious program to start every time I run any application" actually mean? And should I be denying updates of anything when this warning appears?

I'm also frustrated by the latest Zone Alarm update advice in the form of a pop-up to install Zone Alarm 2017. This requires me to install Windows Service Pack 1 which is very large and it will take forever to download. And also I do not trust this form of Windows update because it will no doubt install a lot of stuff that I do not want or need. I am already selective about Windows updates (I have automatic updates turned off) and I expect a service pack install to give me little or no control over what is installed. I have also never been confident that Microsoft does not interrogate my computer in the process of installing a service pack. I am somewhat annoyed that I have to make a substantial change to my operating system just to install the latest Zone Alarm and why do I need to do so?

Thanks to all for any help and advice.

Attached File  Z.A..JPG   24.1KB   0 downloads

Edited by NapoleonB, 24 March 2017 - 09:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:07 PM

First of all you really should have the SP 1 update installed, and, yes, you really need Flash to be as up to date as possible for security reasons.

Where are you getting your Flash updates from ?  The safest place, by far, is from Adobe themselves. Go to Adobe.com then select your country if necessary. Then at the bottom right handside of the screen you will see an entry for Acrobat Reader, Flash and more. Click on Flash and you will be taken to the download screen.

NOTE :-  This is in three parts. The left hand part describes your OS and browser; the right hand part starts the download; the middle part offers 'Optional offers'. I strongly suggest you untick the boxes beside any of these 'Optional offers'.

It may be necessary for you to disable your firewall for the duration of the download, but remember to turn it back on afterwards.

Your firewall is only doing its job. Yes, when you download a new version of Flash you are installing a new .EXE file but this is normal. You could just click the 'Allow' button instead of disabling your firewall, that is your choice. And whenever you try to download a new piece of software it is again your choice. If you get this warning when you haven't tried to download anything that is when you click 'Deny'.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 NapoleonB

NapoleonB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

Thank you Chris for your response and advice.

I will download the flashplayer directly from Adobe and consider whether to install the SP1 update or not.

ZoneAlarm 14.1.57.0 continues to work and is still able to be updated, and so long as it does then I won't be in a rush to update to the 2017 version since downloading the SP1 service pack is going to take a while.

Thank you again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:35 AM

FWIW:  Your perceptions/priorities are mixed up.  SP1 and other critical updates put forth by MS...are the first line of system defense.  A firewall is only a secondary, ancillary line of defense and is not adequate for system defense on its own...it's normally combined with a reliable AV program...as the second line of system defense, augmenting the primary line.

Louis

#5 NapoleonB

NapoleonB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

Thanks Louis.  All well and good, but I have made two attempts to download the service pack, both about 6 hour marathons, and both failed about half way through the download. Unless I can find a simpler way (zip file or whatever) then I will have to put it on the backburner for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users