Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to set up Virtual Machine Server. Need you ideas.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenbar

Ravenbar

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:53 PM

Looking to set up a personal server to run Virtual Machines. Mostly Linux Distro trials and possible some BOINC projects if I can find one I support these days. Also as a Backup server

System is an old HP Elite 8300 Small Form-Factor with an I7-3700k and 16Gb of ram. 3Tb data drive and an old 120Gb Kingston SSDNow SSD for the OS.

Looking to remote into this box. I'd like to open the desktop in a window on my aging(not really oild, just not quite enough resources at times) main system and have it appear as though the virtual machine is on my main system(basically, I'd like it to appear as though I have a virtual machine on my main system, but consuming the resources of a separate system.)

I've tried Xenserver and Proxmox. The installer crashes on both of those.(may try redownloading them). Also tried Fedora Workstation running Avahi. Cant seem to get it set up the way I want.

Need ideas on server OS and how to get this working as simply as possible.

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ravenbar

Ravenbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

XenServer crashes. Gets hung at this point and doesn't continue.

tumblr_oncjtoovdI1u130qco2_400.jpg

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

Are you looking to install a Linux server (Ubuntu Server, Debian Server.. etc) and then install other VMs inside of that? Or do you want to get more of the proxmox bare metal solution where you run multiple VMs on that?

I believe proxmox has some more strict requirements for what hardware it can run on, so maybe it failed due to that? I have never tried installing it myself though so I can't say for sure.

For starting out I'd say install something like Ubuntu server then run either virtual box or vmware (there is a home use free version). You could also play around with containers.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users