Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsolved PC crash issues for over 3 months, please help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Frelle

Frelle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:56 PM

Okay, so prepare for an absolute wall of text..

Specs:

• Corsair CX 750M (upgraded from previous Corsair CX 500W)
  • Intel LGA1150 Core I7 - 4770S
  • MSI GeFroce GTX770 2GB Gaming PCI-E
  • MSI LGA150 b85M-E45
  • Crucial DDR3 BasllistiX 1600Mhz 16GB KIT
  • Samsung DVD + RW SH - 224DBfBEBE SATA BULK
  • Seagate Barcuda 2TB SATA3.0
  • *added* Windows 7

Some may be spelled wrong, read off an old scrap of paper.

Backstory

Over 3 months ago, without no new hardware or obvious software, my computer began having freezes and crashes. They started becoming more of a problem than a nuisance after a week or so, when they would occur from everything within 5 minutes, to ~3 hours.

There are several different types of crashes which occur:

• Regular crashes - instantaneously and with no warning (hard reset needed)
  • Sounds & music slowing down, beginning to fall behind and suddenly getting stuck and sounding awful to the ear, when the screen goes blank - hard reset needed
  • Nvidia share or display driver crashes as a forewarning - hard reset needed
  • Not entirely a freeze, but everything on screen freezes while programs keep running, as well as sounds and music. - hard reset needed

That's about it, I believe.

And a problem on startup which I've encountered:

• Black screen upon start, some sort of error code with either "A2" or "9c" - sometimes unplugging my keyboard makes it boot, other times a hard reset would be required

All of the crash logs points in the direction of something with either my motherboard or my graphics card. But now comes the fun part.

I have sent in my graphics card to begin with. No errors found with it being tested in a different machine.

My computer can run without crashes for a whole day, and even more if I bothered (no crashes occur just to be clear), with no graphics card in.

I then proceeded to send in my entire PC, but again. Nothing was found, even after testing in various stress programs and games for days.

My PC may crash after 5 minutes in a GPU stress test, or run for at least one and a half hour.

I then upgraded my PSU just to be sure it actually got the correct power supply. But please note, that this PC is years old. So there should not be any sudden problems with the PSU which has worked for 3 years (almost). I had an electrician check all power sockets, and they had no problems. I replaced all extension cords, and tried running my PC only off a separate one from all my other stuff (like my display and speakers). Nothing changed.

I tried getting help on another forum, and I thought my issue was fixed as it didn't crash for a couple of days and abandoned the thread.

I'm currently communicating with some guy from the support of the website I bought my PC from via e-mail, who is absolutely clueless about what is up with my PC. So I turned to you guys!

I have attached some Attached File  Logs etc.zip   180.06KB   1 downloads. you may find useful.

Fixes I've tried so far:

• Clean install drivers
  • Update BIOS
  • Install new & older drivers
  • Clean installing Windows
  • Running without my GPU (fixes problem)
  • Running with my brother's GTX1070 (fixes problem)
  • Doing memtests and CPU stress tests
  • Replugging all PCI-E cables in my PC.
  • Cleaning my computer (which was already cleaned just a month ago)
  • Throwing it out of the window in frustration

I can obviously not keep using my brother's GPU, nor am I able to use the computer sufficiently enough for both gaming and regular things like watching Youtube without a GPU.

So as you can tell by now, this is not just some common turn it off and on again problem. It HAS to be hardware-related (looking at you GPU and motherboard). I still have my warranty until the 27'th of may, but time is running short, and I cannot afford to buy new parts!

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Frelle, 24 March 2017 - 09:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:12 AM

All of the WhoCrashed info points to Video TDR errors.

While this is primarily a video issue, it's possible that a damaged portion of the motherboard could be to blame.

BUT, you state that your bothers GPU (or running without the GPU) fixes the problem.

IMO this is indicative of a GPU failure - even if stress testing doesn't reveal it.

Please start with these troubleshooting steps:  http://www.carrona.org/VideoTDR.html

Also, be sure to run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please start with the video tests, but be sure to run ALL of the tests and let us know the results.

In short, the only certain test is to run another GPU that's known to be good.
As you can't keep using your brother's, I'd suggest purchasing one from a shop that will let you return it if it's not needed (for your money back).

Good luck!

If this doesn't help, post back for more suggestions.  Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Frelle

Frelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:31 AM

All of the WhoCrashed info points to Video TDR errors.

While this is primarily a video issue, it's possible that a damaged portion of the motherboard could be to blame.

BUT, you state that your bothers GPU (or running without the GPU) fixes the problem.

IMO this is indicative of a GPU failure - even if stress testing doesn't reveal it.

Please start with these troubleshooting steps:  http://www.carrona.org/VideoTDR.html

Also, be sure to run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please start with the video tests, but be sure to run ALL of the tests and let us know the results.

In short, the only certain test is to run another GPU that's known to be good.
As you can't keep using your brother's, I'd suggest purchasing one from a shop that will let you return it if it's not needed (for your money back).

Good luck!

If this doesn't help, post back for more suggestions.  Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Thank you for your answer, I will have a look at your suggestions in a short while. Will update later when I've tried, but I don't have a lot of time on my hands today, so it may be tomorrow.

But thank you again :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users