Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't activate Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Saphexall

Saphexall

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

Hey all! I recently built my first computer but did not have a Windows 10 key at the time, so I opted to use the un-activated version for the time being. Recently, my cousin who works at Microsoft was able to get me a copy. However, when I go to activate the key in settings, 2 errors show up: 0x803F7001 at the top of the "Activation" tab underneath the information about the current Windows copy, and 0x80070422 after I type the key in the "Change product key" setting. Pictures attached. Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Try the method on this page.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/activate-windows-10-license-microsoft-support/

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,680 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

Are you sure the product key is for your version of Windows 10?

Is this a legal product key for a clean installation, not an upgrade?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Saphexall

Saphexall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

Hey, thanks for the response. There's a problem I've run into where when I try to run slui.exe 4, nothing will happen at all.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

If you are sure that the product key is for your version of Windows 10 and that it is genuine, then call Microsoft support, they will help you right away.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

Does it work if you open an elevated command prompt and type in the command? Press the Windows key + X >  cmd as admin

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 March 2017 - 02:45 PM.

#7 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

Windows sells only Retail keys for Windows 10 Home and for Windows 10 Pro.
For all other versions You must use your organisation key or must already have bought computer with preinstalled OEM key or must have Windws what to upgrade to get digital license or You must use ... that what is not allowed to say.
But why You have Windows 10 Home SL (Single Language), if You said that have built computer yourself, cannot understand. 
Now the first thing, upgrade to current version Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro and then is possible also to activate.
There is several methods, but till now works free upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, it is absolutely official and free.
With some browsers this upgrade link don't work, then use this direct link

Edited by zainmax, 25 March 2017 - 04:18 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,680 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:54 AM

@ JohnC_21

I became curious and tried the slui.exe 4 from the Command Prompt(Admin) and the run box without success.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

@ JohnC_21

I became curious and tried the slui.exe 4 from the Command Prompt(Admin) and the run box without success.

I'm using Windows 10 command works for me.

Posted Image

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

@ JohnC_21

I don't have Windows 10 but it works fine on my Windows 7 computer. Not sure why it doesn't work on Windows 10 according to the link I posted.

Edit: The OP mentions changing product key. I wonder if the OP used a generic key on the install. Would clearing the key using slmrg and entering the new key with the same command work? I don't know. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 March 2017 - 12:08 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,680 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

Try doing slui.exe 3 from the Command Prompt and enter the new product code your cousin gave you.

You have not answered my questions in post #3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users