Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPP, iTunes and Configurator

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:29 PM

So for the first time in my IT career I now have to manage iPads.  There is a slight catch as well...these are older iPads that we are really looking to get rid of as we are primarily a Google environment (Chrome Boxes and Chrome Books), but management insists we keep them alive as long as possible.  To that end I have to download and install apps upon request (the tail wags the dog here as there is no consolidation or meetings to discuss and approve apps, I literally add apps at the whim of every individual that wants something).

Anyway, we also do our adding and updating via the old Configurator method.  I'm aware of the MDM, but we aren't going to go through the migration to that just to support dying hardware.

So here's my dilemma...

Typically, I log into my Volume Purchasing Program account, find the app I want, select the number of them I want and use a card with a set amount of money to redeem and get the apps.  Once selected and purchased I then get a spreadsheet that has a link to get a code that I then use to redeem the apps and they download into the company's iTunes account, then I open them via Configurator and push them to the connected iPads.  That portion works just fine.

The problem is when I need to get free apps.  I still have to go get them via VPP, so I select the app, select the number of them I want and that all works...the issue arises on the spreadsheet.  There is no code.  In the column where the code link should be it just says "managed licenses" and it is not a link.

How do I get the apps to download into the iTunes account?

I cannot go directly to the iStore with the account as it says the account must use VPP.

I've searched the web to no avail and I've even tried posting directly in Apple Community support.

If anyone has experienced this, or knows how to get free apps to work over the VPP, I'd appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

I will admit that I will be no help on this other than to ask if you have actually tried talking to Apple support directly or maybe asking at an Apple Store. Beyond that, I have zero experience with buying any iOS apps for an "enterprise" type situation...all my experience is with buying for personal use with personal accounts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users