Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashed And Can't Reboot After Defrag

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nolabuilder

nolabuilder

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:11 PM

I am running XP Home on a HP laptop. Decided to clean things up a bit and removed some things from the startup, then ran Disk Cleanup and Defragmenter. When it finished, I shut it down nomally and went to bed. Next morning, "error reading disk, ctl+alt+del to reboot".

When I try Windows Recovery, I only get a C prompt, not (1)C:/Windows to select the installation. CHKDSK returns an error that says I need to run SCNDSK, but that does not complete either. It also can not boot into safe mode.

I assume that I screwed up some boot file, but I have no idea how to fix it. Any suggestions? Also, If I have to reinstall XP, is it possible to load Linux first so I can get in there to save some data?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nolabuilder

nolabuilder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:54 PM

I just tried bootcfg /list in Recovery and it couldn't find any installations!!! How could that be???

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:17 PM

See if you can boot into Safe Mode with command prompt.

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.
2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state, from before you altered your startup menu and before you defragged.

#4 nolabuilder

nolabuilder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:47 PM

I can't get into safe mode for some reason. I can get into Setup and change the boot order, but not safe mode. I can get a command prompt in Recovery, but when I entered the command you suggested, it only said that it was not recognized.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:27 PM

It won't work in the recovery console - just in a command prompt once Windows has started.

You probably stopped some service or ap essential to Windows when you removed aps from the startup menu. Did you alter anything in services too?

You can use a Linux distrib linux like Knoppix or puppy to save data.
They support USB and run in RAM.
http://www.puppylinux.org/user/downloads.php

The following may help as far as the recovery console goes:
How to use the Recovery Console
You can enable and disable services, format drives, read and write data on a local drive (including drives that are formatted to use the NTFS file system), and perform many other administrative tasks. The Recovery Console is particularly useful if you have to repair your computer by copying a file from a disk or CD-ROM to your hard disk, or if you have to reconfigure a service that is preventing your computer from starting correctly.

If you cannot start your computer, you can run the Recovery Console from the Microsoft Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM. This article describes how to perform this task.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;307654

For a list of commands that are available in Recovery Console, type recovery console commands or help at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

For information about a specific command, type help commandname at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

If you do not have a Windows XP installation cd you can use Windows XP Setup bootdisks which you can download here:
How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

Get the correct set for the installation that is currently on your computer - IE Windows XP Pro / sp2 or whatever.

#6 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:13 PM

hi nolabuilder,

if you are in the recovery console, try the 'fixboot' and the 'fixmbr' commands then restart and see if they've had any effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users