Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The US Senate Votes to Slay Broadband Privacy Rules

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:57 AM

US Senate dismantles internet privacy allowing ISPs to sell your data without permission. They just threw our privacy concerns out of the window. People are now more in need of encryption tools.

Make privacy a concern before it's too late. High time to realize encryption has become a need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:50 AM

The amount of dick pics the government & private firms have collected...
And that is just the least threatening information they have on you...they have on us.

I know I am repeating myself here like a madman, but in the end the choice would basically be:

If you want to reduce the amount of information on you that the government has stored by 99%, don't use the Internet or your phone.

Edited by Just_One_Question, 24 March 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#3 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

There is no privacy on the internet, either learn to accept it or don't use it. Even if you used Tor with Tails in a farady cage with a tinfoil hat ( just for fun :wink:) , there is still something leaking out.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

How the Senate voted. Notice a trend????????

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=1&vote=00093#position

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 techghost

techghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

Hey, I did not get you. It's 50-48.  What trend? Elaborate please. 

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,537 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

Look at the party designation for each voting member.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:20 PM

Look at the party designation for each voting member.

To be fully honest, I would be okay with this legislature passing(not sure if this is how you spell it, English is my 2nd lang.) if they also voted against the mass surveillance from the government, since I have not agreed to that and was neither informed, nor asked about it. After all it's my own private phone calls, etc. Whereas, with different companies and websites I am aware and being asked to agree to their terms & conditions on my first step in.
Full disclosure, I actually thought this law had already been passed years ago that the Internet service providers can sell your browsing info to 3d parties mainly for advertising and social profiling.
But that's just my opinion though. This is not one of those subjects on which I have 'the firmest', so to speak, opinion, since I live in an ex-totalitarian state & have heard views from all kinds of perspectives.
:)

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:49 PM

digmor crusher wrote, in part, "There is no privacy on the internet, either learn to accept it or don't use it."

To which I can only say, Amen!!   There has never been privacy on the internet.  It's always been "the public square" and what you do or say there is open to public view (even if that's via hackers, the cyber-equivalent of eavesdroppers [at their least nefarious]).   My heaven, way back before I was even alive it was well known that you didn't commit to paper anything you didn't want anyone else to ever be able see under any circumstances.  The same caution applies, but on steroids, about anything one does in cyberspace.

How anyone could even make a hypothetical "presumption of privacy" in cyberspace by now defies reason.

Animal wrote:  "How the Senate voted. Notice a trend????????"

My feeling about internet privacy is quite a bit like David Hyde Pierce's about his private life:  "My life is an open book; that doesn't mean I'm going to read it to you."

What we're seeing here, writ large, is which party is concerned with individuals and their right not to have everything about their lives not only not "read by them," but, even worse, "published by others, and selectively, based on the desires of those others," and without the consent of those individuals.  There's a difference between any individual's ability to find what another individual might do on the internet and the kinds of data mining now possible.  And if things weren't scary enough they're getting even more frightening with artificial intelligence that can accurately predict behavior/choices based on criteria that seemingly have nothing to do with what's being predicted.  [I wish I could find the NPR piece I listened to regarding just this several weeks ago, but the details for a successful search are eluding me at the moment.]

Color me utterly unsurprised as to how the party lines on this vote were drawn.  The party of "personal responsibility" and "family values" my Aunt Fanny!

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:42 AM

FBI Director James Comey says..

There is no such thing as absolute privacy in America

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,827 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

FBI Director James Comey says..

There is no such thing as absolute privacy in America

. . . and there never has been, anywhere.   It's always been the back and forth of deciding when a given individual may pose enough of a threat of some sort to the public that their privacy may be breached without them knowing.

That's traditionally been a pretty high bar and also more focused on what the government could and could not do.

Law has been running behind, way behind, what's possible for private parties to do in the age of computing since the age of computing began.  And for at least four decades now we've had enough political power vested in a movement that claims to be about individual rights that seems ready to trample them at every turn, whether for false security or for financial gain and whether by the government itself or private interests.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

I'm not so concerned about the privacy angle, because yeah. I get there is no such thing as absolute privacy. I've thought that way for years before Snowden. My issue here is the fact that your browsing information is now a commodity to be packaged and sold for profit to the highest bidder. Without any input from me. How much will my royalty checks be every month?? Yeah RIGHT! Profiting off something I do, on a service I already pay for, is where my major gripe is. Sounds like indentured servitude by any other name.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#12 techghost

techghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:43 AM

I'm not so concerned about the privacy angle, because yeah. I get there is no such thing as absolute privacy. I've thought that way for years before Snowden. My issue here is the fact that your browsing information is now a commodity to be packaged and sold for profit to the highest bidder. Without any input from me. How much will my royalty checks be every month?? Yeah RIGHT! Profiting off something I do, on a service I already pay for, is where my major gripe is. Sounds like indentured servitude by any other name.

This is the major part of our concern. I mean people may say they don't care about their privacy, but tell them they are paying for someone to steal their private activities and they'll loose their minds. 

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:31 AM

Most willingly post all the info the criminals and government need on Facebook and other social media.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,827 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

Most willingly post all the info the criminals and government need on Facebook and other social media.

Amen!!  I almost have to laugh out loud when I hear certain folks ranting and raving about online privacy when those same folks have Facebook, Twitter, SnapChat, and other accounts and plaster their every move (and indiscretion) on said accounts.

Yes, one can make an argument based upon principle alone, but if you do so and also do the above you have demonstrated that your personal privacy is not something that you value.  Your life is not only an open book but you are reading it to all the world.   Saying, "But I do that of my own choice!," makes absolutely no difference; you've demonstrated that personal privacy is not really a priority to you.

~ Lauren Bacall

#15 techghost

techghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

Amen!!  I almost have to laugh out loud when I hear certain folks ranting and raving about online privacy when those same folks have Facebook, Twitter, SnapChat, and other accounts and plaster their every move (and indiscretion) on said accounts.

Yes, one can make an argument based upon principle alone, but if you do so and also do the above you have demonstrated that your personal privacy is not something that you value.  Your life is not only an open book but you are reading it to all the world.   Saying, "But I do that of my own choice!," makes absolutely no difference; you've demonstrated that personal privacy is not really a priority to you.

That's a fact. But I don't see many people who are very social talk about privacy. You don't see people on social media talk about privacy. It's platforms like BC and other forums where people talk using their apparent nicks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users