Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

email clients

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

It is so difficult and frustrating trying to look up something like "the best _____" on the internet as there's SO many factors and opinions.  It's enough to drive a person mad... especially when they might have a bit of ocd and are just picky... and paranoid.  ha.

I'm setting up a new computer for my oldest daughter and want her to have her own account on there.  Thank you windows for making it so you can't have an account without an email.  <_<

So my daughter doesn't have her own email address... I know, this is not normally a big deal...  but, again... I'm picky and paranoid.  SO many choices out there.
I don't want gmail for her as (even though I use them) I don't trust them as far as I can throw them, as they say...  yahoo seems to be hacked more than any other...    so, I've been comparing a few...

got a little excited about mail.com with their different domains.  Found one that fit a hobby she's into...  but they don't offer pop access without a premium account.  That's not a deal breaker I guess and, I may end up choosing that in the end as I have a feeling none of them will make me happy anyway.  ha.

But while I'm searching and thinking... and thinking.........   
Any thoughts on these two questions...
1.  What are your most trusted email clients?
2.  Are there any other email providers that offer domain choices the way mail.com does?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:24 AM

@millipede

Help is available to set a user account without an email address.

Please follow the instructions offered in the link below...

Hope this helps

Old Rocker

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

Well, you definitely can create an account under Windows 10 without an e-mail address as a local account.   I've got two on one machine that came along when I upgraded and one on this machine that I set up for testing purposes.

I have used Gmail for years and don't find them any more suspect than any other e-mail provider.  You are likely to have e-mail accounts through your ISP as well, though many people don't know that nor use them.

Also, why on earth would one want POP access if the choice of IMAP is available?  It is exceedingly rare these days that anyone only accesses their e-mail in one location and on one device.  POP becomes a nightmare over time in particular if it's being used on multiple devices for the same e-mail account.  IMAP came into existence to solve the shortcomings of POP.  It also has the added advantages of, effectively, putting e-mail backup in the hands of professionals who run the data centers where your e-mail servers are located and allowing you to nuke an account either to re-create it or to set up on a new machine without losing a single message.

Edited by britechguy, 24 March 2017 - 10:29 AM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

@millipede

Help is available to set a user account without an email address.

Please follow the instructions offered in the link below...

Hope this helps

Old Rocker

odd... I will attempt that again but, when I did last time I did not have that option.  It automatically caused me to either use an email or, click a link if I did not have one... which took me to a screen to create an outlook account.   I even went and tried that...  Tried an email address that I thought would tell me was in use...  created a password, etc... then it told me it was successful in adding that to the laptop but I'd have to sign in... so I tried... wrong password.  Okay, reset my password?  Asks if I want a text or email sent to a phone number ***-***-**26 or something... which I never put a phone number in, which told me I was right in that the email I was trying to create was already in use.  That was helpful.
But, I will try again to create an account without an email.

Also, why on earth would one want POP access if the choice of IMAP is available?

I know little about these things as I am one that accesses my email through thunderbird only...  unless I'm on vacation or something I might then access my email directly from websites.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,515 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

Microsoft is notorious for not updating their online instructions, and given the number of these that exist I can somewhat understand why.

All that's necessary to create a local account is to use the "Add Someone else to this PC" option.  Activate the, "I don't have this person's sign-in information" link on the How will this person sign-in dialog that comes up first.  Then, on the Let's Create an Account dialog that comes up you simply activate the, "Add a user without a Microsoft Account" link.  The rest is straightforward.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

Microsoft is notorious for not updating their online instructions, and given the number of these that exist I can somewhat understand why.

All that's necessary to create a local account is to use the "Add Someone else to this PC" option.  Activate the, "I don't have this person's sign-in information" link on the How will this person sign-in dialog that comes up first.  Then, on the Let's Create an Account dialog that comes up you simply activate the, "Add a user without a Microsoft Account" link.  The rest is straightforward.

sorry, missed that I guess.   Easy to do when they purposely tuck things away...  like AV's having these BIG green buttons for upgrading and tiny little text where you just update the free version... and all the checkboxes for chrome that so many programs have checked for you.  ugh.

Used to be so easy to add accounts.  Oh well.
Clicked on it and am setting it up now.
Thanks.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,515 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:55 AM

You're quite welcome.

Not that I don't agree with you about general practices, but those are, if anything, going to get worse, not better.

One of the things I keep having to drive home with my partner is that, "You must take a look around the screen and read when what you want to do is not obvious!"

More people get more junk or can't get done what they want to do because they just don't take the time to actually look at dialog boxes than I care to count.  This is not aimed at you specifically, but is a general observation.  Read, Read, Read, even if it's a quick and cursory read!  That's better than not doing so.

Edited by britechguy, 24 March 2017 - 11:56 AM.

#8 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

typically, when it comes to installing and updating software I don't miss those things...  I'm used to them so I anticipate them.  With this user situation, what I found didn't match what I expected and my frustrated brain didn't look further than what it expected I guess. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users