Importing Contacts into the Windows 10 People App via Outlook.com
One cannot import contacts directly to the People app from a CSV file. However, if you visit https://outlook.live.com/owa/?path=/people you can import the contacts through manage option.
Follow these steps to get your CSV file of exported contacts imported into People via the Outlook.com “back door” method:
1) Visit https://outlook.live.com/owa and log in with the same Microsoft ID that you have synced, or wish to have synced, with the People app on your computer.
2) The above will have logged you into Outlook.com for the user ID that gets established when you create a Microsoft ID, but you’re still not in the People window. Either activate the People button on the Outlook.com main window or paste the following into the web address field then hit enter, and you’ll end up in the People window:
2) Activate the “Manage” dropdown then activate “Import Contacts”
3) Make the selection appropriate for the e-mail client that you used to generate the CSV file of contacts that you’re going to Import. As of this writing the four that are presented are Gmail, Outlook 2010, 2013, or 2016, Yahoo Mail, Windows Live Mail. If you have some other e-mail client it will make no difference which of these choices you choose.
4) You will now be presented with a set of directions on how to export contacts from that e-mail client program into a CSV (comma separated values) file. Follow those if you’ve not already generated your CSV file before starting this whole process. Proceed to step 5 knowing where you’ve saved that CSV file you generated.
5) Activate the Browse button, navigate to your CSV file’s folder, select it then import the CSV file from your computer. The contacts should now be part of the Outlook.com People list. These will sync down to your computer during the next sync cycle.
Note: It might take some time for the contacts to be updated in the People app in your computer because a synchronization cycle needs to take place before they’re going to show up on your computer.
Edited by britechguy, 24 March 2017 - 08:46 AM.