Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Problems!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 beowulf

beowulf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:02 PM

I wonder if anybody can help me

I have an 18 month old laptop which has hardly been used and has only been connected to the net once, as itís a spare pc (tax fiddle!!) about 9 months ago, when my desk top went in for some work. As a precaution back then I installed Norton internet security 2004.
I now need to use the lap top connected to the net but Norton is causing some problems
My ISP techies have confirmed that I should be able to connect (as we have done it in safe mode) but Norton is stopping it from happening normally, how ever when I go into Norton it is switched off and will not allow me to switch it on (still asks me to connect to net for updates tho!) it says I need adminastrater settings to access this but I am the only one that uses the laptop and I will not let me log on to get admin settings.
I have tried deleting it by going to control panel, add/remove programmes but all that happens is a window saying supervisor access is required to uninstall, but as I have said Norton will not let me switch on or log in
I have read some where that some times Norton likes to have the disk in the pc when trying to uninstall so I tried that but that didnít work either
I have even tried to use system restore to take it back to before Norton was installed but that didnít work
Anybody got any ideas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:14 PM

I've used the smyNRT removal tool with great success! Have a read in How to Remove your Norton Products.
If you can't safely connect to the net,you may have to d/l this utility with your desktop computer,put it onto a CD and then install it onto your laptop.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 beowulf

beowulf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:02 AM

right then.....ive used NRT on my desktop pc.worked a treat but took 45 mins.is that normal?..but at no time was i asked where to or how to down load it so how could i burn it to cd to transfer to the laptop?

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:32 AM

It shouldn't be too difficult to find beowulf.It may have gone to Program Files in "My Computer",or where ever you have chosen downloaded files to go to.Maybe use your search engine.
When you find it,right click on it/send to/DVD drive and make your copy from there.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 beowulf

beowulf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:48 AM

i found a file
symnrt.exe-36cb079.pf but its only 30kb
is that going to be it?
thanks for all the help youre giving me, im a bit dim when it comes to this side of computing! i can use them , just cant fix em!

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:59 AM

The Symantec Removal Utility by Symantec Corporation is just over 600 KB in size.At least that what it shows on my computer.The Icon beside this utility is a black box with a yellow graph line thru it.
A little ways down the page on "How to Remove Your Norton Products" there is a sentence- "All you need to do is to download the tool by clicking here." That is the symNRT utility you need.
If you downloaded the removal tool from this link,and ran it successfully,I have no doubt you will find it beowulf.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 beowulf

beowulf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:38 PM

right then.followed a different route.........downloaded and burnt NRT from another link............worked fine, removed Norton from laptop, immediatly downloaded AVG to give some form of protection (and it works ok on the desktop)........and 5 mins later i got hit by 5 trojans that AVG can recognise but cant heal or quarentine! Doh!

anybody suggest a good free trojan remover or other free antivirus software that works?

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:04 PM

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

The above link is to a very good program. Sounds like you already had those trojans or are going online without a firewall in place. You may need expert help in getting rid of the malware. After using Ewido, go here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users