Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What would you do if you won the lottery?!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:56 AM

Let's dream on for a minute...

What would you buy if you won $300 million dollars in the lottery. $100 million dollars automatically went to charity. Another $100 million dollars automatically went to your friends & family.

You are left with the rest $100 million dollars and you are not allowed to give further money to charitable causes or your family.

What would you buy?

:)

you-do-not-need-win-lottery-pursue-your-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

Stocks, Gold, and land.

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

Stocks, Gold, and land.

Welp... You are a better person than I am.
I think this scene from Silicon Valley illustrates pretty well what would I buy :lmao:

The doors of a billionaire lol

#4 Poppyann

Poppyann

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

Well.. If I had all that money, I would probably open an animal sanctuary for all the waifs and strays, plus obviously a holiday of a lifetime :) 

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

Well.. If I had all that money, I would probably open an animal sanctuary for all the waifs and strays, plus obviously a holiday of a lifetime :)

Nice!

I would probably buy a new Ferrari 812 in red(of course), an iPhone SE 128GB in silver, a Rolex Submariner watch aaaaand... I guess another lottery ticket! YOLO :lmao:

#6 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:42 PM

This sounds like fun:

...but if I was rich, if I was rich I'd git so many pork chops, I'd cord em up aroun' me like wood, an' I'd eat my way out.
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, Chapter 23.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#7 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:11 PM

I would buy a gold house, a rocket car, then celebrate with liver and onions.

#8 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

What's with the gold-type stuff? You really *need* all that? Lol

Doing something worthwhile, such as starting something actually profitable. Invested money multiplies ridiculously. (Investing in charity, already noted, is the most worthwhile for example) Therefore, starting a business on something that could actually make hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars.

Placing enough back for retirement would be nice, yes, but the remainder could be invested to start a sultry business! :D

#9 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

Gonna give a more pragmatic answer first.
Having once missed by one number years ago (won over a thousand bucks but not the millions) and not wanting to be of the higher percentage of winners whose lives become chaotic: hire more than one lawyer, financial advisor, estate planner and tax attorney, prior to even claiming the ticket. Lower personal profile in case of being unable to dodge the Lotteries right to publicize winners. Not go crazy. A quick Google result of wise initial steps; there are many:

http://bbtaxlaw.com/a-tax-lawyers-advice-to-lottery-and-powerball-winners-and-everyone-else/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a-lawyer-who-specializes-in-lottery

Now the fun stuff. Personally, how many houses and beds can you sleep in at a time? One. How many gourmet meals can you eat at a time? One. How many places can you travel at at a time? One. There you go. But.. my wife and I would have a heck of a lot of fun doing whatever things we want one at a time! :)

Living OK, but being a bit financially aware, pay off all debts, help close family and friends, and I like JohnC' advice about buying some gold since wealth in the form of money is simply a form of exchange for durable goods. As far as any charities (good tax cut), any I'd choose would have to be ones of a low administrative cost so the majority of a donation is actually used for whatever cause.

We play a couple bucks a week, more when it rolls over to huge amounts. I laugh when remembering asking a best friend (former Green Beret) what would your most crazy wish in life be? He answered, I want to win the lottery, without even having to play it! 
Good luck with that bud. :)

Posting a copy/paste from iPad notes, if BC site doesn't automatically render it in its default font/size, oh-well, if we win, I'll somehow make a donation for amends. 
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#10 Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Agent 007

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 4,133 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:51 PM

That is a good question but much money doesn't mean that you have a good life at all.

There are a few things to keep in mind when I would have won so much money:
- How would money change my daily life?
- For me, this is the most important thing to think about: Can money change my mind ?

It is very important for me, to be a nice and friendly guy - therefor I wouldn't change my life that much. The question is not what to buy, it is more a question what to do with the money.

I am currently a student at a german university, I would still finish my studies. Having that amount of money would make it more comfortable for me to make an exchange year in another country. So, money would help to have a better education. (Indeed, this is quite sad as so many other students that don't have that money can not go to university, and if, then they have more disadvantages than "richer" students.)

I would start a company to make products where I am interested in. For example, currently I make a program about the mathematical process of symmetric and asymmetric Encryption process. Well, currently I am really interested in that area. Having much money and doing nothing renders your life to quite a boring place, where you will be alone as you are just cool because of your money.

Of course, besides all this, I would buy some cool things like a Tesla, a nice house (or appartment) for myself. But it doesn't make any sense to buy so much houses, or so big houses, if you are "alone" (not having kids etc.). Therefor I would save as much money as possible - the reason for that is you never know when something unexpected happens.

Machiavelli

Edited by Machiavelli, 24 March 2017 - 03:52 PM.

~Machiavelli

If I don't reply within 24 hours please PM me!

• Every topic with no replies within 5 days will be closed.
  • If you like my help here please give me feedback.

unite_blue.png

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

Whenever a new blockbuster, such as Star Wars, comes along, I would buy all the tickets on opening weekend in my town... just because!

NQjgc89.gif

Edited by Just_One_Question, 24 March 2017 - 05:43 PM.

#12 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

I would wish that I had won it when I was young enough to really enjoy it.

#13 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

I would wish that I had won it when I was young enough to really enjoy it.

It's never too late. Never!
:)

#14 Poppyann

Poppyann

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Money is not the be all or end all of everything.. as long as you have your health and you are happy and have enough to pay the bills, roof over your head, food in your belly, then that is all I require.

#15 KeturahWeston

KeturahWeston

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:25 AM

Thinking about it now, I'd spend so much in travelling! The thing though, I do not place any bet on the lottery. LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users