Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost WLM Contacts

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:51 AM

Uninstalled WLM to resolve a problem only to discover it is no longer available for download. I have Macrium back-up images. I never specifically backed-up my WLM Contact list so I do not know if they can be extracted from the Macrrium image or perhaps they are still on my desktop somewhere even with WLM uninstalled. Can anyone tell me if I can and how to recover my Contacts? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

http://technicalforum.org/how-tos/solved-all-contacts-windows-live-mail-are-gone-or-not-syncing

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:20 AM

http://technicalforum.org/how-tos/solved-all-contacts-windows-live-mail-are-gone-or-not-syncing

Thanks but this does not help. As I posted, I uninstalled WLM. Does a Macrium Reflect image contain WLM Contacts?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

I work with individuals who have visual impairments or are blind, and WLM 2012 remains a popular e-mail client with them.  I made a point of downloading the full offline setup program for Windows Essentials 2012 in December.  If you want to get a copy in 7Z format you can download it here, unzip it with 7Zip, and reinstall whichever components of Windows Essentials 2012 you choose.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:36 AM

I work with individuals who have visual impairments or are blind, and WLM 2012 remains a popular e-mail client with them.  I made a point of downloading the full offline setup program for Windows Essentials 2012 in December.  If you want to get a copy in 7Z format you can download it here, unzip it with 7Zip, and reinstall whichever components of Windows Essentials 2012 you choose.

Thanks but I only want my contacts...I am using the Win10 Mail app. Does reinstalling WLM provide a route to my contacts?

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

Generally, unless you specifically delete contacts, account information, etc., it remains there to allow you to do a reinstall without having to reconfigure/reenter all that stuff again.

What have you got to lose?  If it does what I expect it will do, and you have access again, you can celebrate and promptly export them then go through the gyrations of uploading them via the outlook.com website so that they'll be loaded into the Win10 People App.

If it doesn't, then you're still in the same state you are now.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

If Macrium is installed on the computer you should be able to double click the image file and mount it to a virtual drive letter. Once mounted you can browse to the file. You will need to use a viewer or converter for the edb file.

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\{b5f3929f-ba60-4632-ad4e-b602b1c8e007}\DBStore\contacts.edb

https://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/89411-where-windows-live-mail-address-book-contacts-folder-located.html

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

John,

Is there an "exporter program" out there for the .edb file?   In this situation unless he can get those contacts into some format that can be recognized for import (or even be read on-screen for manual input) he's still stuck.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

I found this thread regarding exporting to Outlook.pst. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/3a584e22-fa38-4ce6-bcf7-06442e194be2/convert-edb-to-outlook?forum=exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecoverylegacy

Edit: Then from pst to Office 365. I have never used the converter so I can not vouch for it.

http://convertmyemail.blogspot.com/2016/08/import-exchange-edb-file-to-office-365.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 March 2017 - 08:56 AM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:56 AM

Well, I'm too lazy (and have no personal motivation) to log in to Outlook.com to step through the step-by-step instructions I've posted for importing contacts into the People App, but if memory serves the only file format recognized to do so is a CSV file.

I still think a reinstall of WLM 2012 is likely to be the easiest route to go since it's highly unlikely that the user app data, including contacts, was removed with the program.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

As I understand it the Hotmail server will have everything that was on the Windows Live Mail.  When you reinstall the email client you should get your contact information.  I did a quick look and it looks like you can still download Windows Live Mail.

If this doesn't work for what ever reason you can still use the macrium image to install the operating system on either another partition or preferably another ssd/hdd.  You could then export the contacts to a new folder on the drive with the original operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

dc3,

If you can find an active link to download Microsoft Essentials 2012 I'd love to have it.  The last one I had for the full offline installer was:  http://g.live.com/1rewlive5-all/en/wlsetup-all.exe

There are a lot of folks who used WLM 2012 (as opposed to Live Mail, which was web-based) who never had any connection to Hotmail.  I've got several accounts, all Gmail, configured in it and all indications are it does sync contacts with whatever e-mail server the account is connected to, but that's with IMAP.  I have no clue what it might do with POP.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:39 AM

Download Windows Live Mail 16.4.3528 - FileHippo.com

FileHippo is rather notorious for downloads embedded with third party applications so I would suggest using the Custom installation where you can see and decline those apps.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

I was using Live Mail from MS Essentials 2012 before I installed it.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

Well, if someone actually wants a 100% clean, from the source installer for Windows Essentials 2012 I can guarantee you that the link I provided to my Google Drive a couple of posts ago is it.  All I did was zip the file that used to be downloadable from the now dead link I also posted and put it on my Google Drive since you can't upload a straight exe file.

I saw the writing on the wall once Microsoft said it was going to stop official support, and that was mostly due to proprietary sync methods being discontinued.  I have way too many clients who use WLM 2012, whether with POP or IMAP, as a straight e-mail client and it still works perfectly well for that and will likely continue to do so indefinitely.  I wanted to make sure I had an installer since this program is far more screen-reader-friendly than a number of e-mail clients, including the Win10 Mail app at this point in time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users