Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update BIOS/UEFI or not ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:28 PM

Rule of thumb though: if your bios works dont update it.

Only update or flash your bios if it becomes needed as a bad BIOS flash can brick a system

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,465 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

Rule of thumb though: if your bios works dont update it.

Only update or flash your bios if it becomes needed as a bad BIOS flash can brick a system

Agreed!

Slightly 'off-topic', but:-

When I upgraded the old Compaq PC's single-core Athlon64 to a dual-core, I had no option but to flash the BIOS for a newer one, in order to gain the BIOS support for the dual-core CPU.

In some ways, though, I wish I hadn't had to. In the process, I lost the relatively easy-to-use Compaq one-time boot menu.....and it lost the ability to boot from FAT32. Period. Which is annoying, given that more and more Linux distros now employ the method whereby you 'dd' your ISO direct to your flash drive. Invariably, they want the drive formatted to FAT32 before you even start.....

Seems to be a standard requirement now. So, I agree with Madman; don't flash your BIOS unless you really need those updated 'features'..!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 27 March 2017 - 10:30 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users