Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update BIOS/UEFI or not ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:29 AM

ASUS A88X-PRO mobo

AMD A6-7400K cpu

12 GB DDR3 RAM

64 bit Win 7 Home Premium fully updated.

I have just recovered this desktop from a hard BSOD, ie it didn't just say 'Windows suffered a problem - restart normally ?'. It went into a cycle of sending me back into the BIOS to amend a setting and regardless of what settings I chose, even 'Optimum defaults' it would not boot. Following advice on the ASUS web-site I fixed this by clearing RTC then setting optimum defaults and the computer is now running more or less normally.

All I was doing when it blue screened was trying to show my wife a hilarious video on YouTube - Rijksmuseum FlashMob - and about half way through the computer just crashed. This is perhaps the third or fourth time in the last month or so that I have suffered a BSOD watching an otherwise innocuous video on YouTube.

The installed BIOS/UEFI version is 1602, the latest on the ASUS web-site is version 2603. Is it worth my while, or should I, update the BIOS ?

The only problem I know I have left is that the system is no longer recognising my audio card but I will look at that later.

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:22 AM

I would replace the CMOS battery with a new one...before I thought about a BIOS update.  My experience is that a failing CMOS battery can cause unexpected hardware chaos.

I've only done 1 BIOS update on the various systems I have owned over the years...and that was done (easily) only because the guidance for installing an SSD suggested it.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 March 2017 - 07:24 AM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:17 AM

Chris,

I'd flash the update.  These aren't done, nor suggested at manufacturer support pages, "for no reason," anymore than other updates are.  Not that you mightn't need a new CMOS battery as well.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

From the support page most every BIOS update after 1602 was for system stability.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/A88XPRO/HelpDesk_Download/

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

Hi, Chris,

Can you provide me the memory dumps from C:\Windows\Minidump? I'll see what I can do. :)

Thanks.

Regards,
bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,891 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

I don't seem to have one for yesterdays BSOD but here is the one for the last episode before that. Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j363272ild0c0mp/031217-17690-01.dmp?dl=0

The CMOS battery had crossed my mind but this mobo has only been in service for eight months. I had also noticed the remarks about stability on the later BIOS versions and I did download the 2603 version when I was on the ASUS web-site and, like Hamluis, I have only had to flash a BIOS once in over twenty years. I am a great believer in 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!' but maybe it is time to do this.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

Well this is relatively simple one...
STOP 0x1000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M bugcheck:

1: kd> .bugcheck
Bugcheck code 1000007E
Arguments ffffffff`c0000005 fffff880`112fbfdb fffff880`07f60228 fffff880`07f5fa80
Stack trace:
1: kd> knL
 # Child-SP          RetAddr           Call Site
00 fffff880`07f60460 fffffa80`0bc69000 atikmdag+0xc4fdb
01 fffff880`07f60468 00000000`00000000 0xfffffa80`0bc69000
atikmdag.sys, your graphics driver, was called many times, and something went wrong (simply put). Some information about it...
1: kd> lmvm atikmpag
start             end                 module name
fffff880`044e2000 fffff880`04582000   atikmpag   (deferred)             
    Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmpag.sys
    Image name: atikmpag.sys
    Timestamp:        Wed Apr 02 03:21:50 2014 (533BBA8E)
    CheckSum:         0009A229
    ImageSize:        000A0000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
Sadly, we have only one dump file to work with, but try reinstalling your graphics driver for now. I'd give the driver-only installation a shot.

Regards,
bwv848

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,891 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

OK, I will dig out the drivers.

And update the BIOS.

And get a new 2032.

And fix my sound card. It never raiins but it pours !

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,891 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

Having done all that it all seems good and I have watched the video which caused (or at least occurred simultaneously with) the BSOD three times one after another without any repeat. And if any body is interested this is the video - a recreation of Rembrandt's famous painting 'The Night Watch' -

Chris Cosgrove

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:13 PM

But, but Chris, did you try this at each step?

Now it will drive me crazy (even if it won't do the same for you) not knowing which of the steps taken was the "cure" (or most likely cure)!

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,891 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:35 AM

@britechguy #10

Sorry Brian, I am just not that scientific !  If I was debugging a problem yes, then one step at a time, but I just wanted this computer back up to its normal highly reliable condition ASAP. I am inclined to agree with Bwv that it was a video driver problem but I was very surprised that a BSOD would affect the BIOS but that was probably a side effect of the voltage pulse when the system crashed.

I will say that the documentation that ASUS provide is quite good and their FAQs are very helpful even if you have to wade through them until you find the one that has the solution !

Chris Cosgrove

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for sharing the video, Chris! :) Got a good laugh out of that...

Honestly, I wouldn't even say that the problem is solved, until all is well for two weeks. In the BSOD forum, we always see these graphics card related crashes, and they can be extremely fickle at times. Often the problem will be solved for a week, or even a month, and then it'll come back to haunt us again.

Regards,

bwv848

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,891 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:19 PM

@Bwv - You are not  boosting my confidence but i'm glad you found the video amusing. But now I know who to call and its trade mark is an owl, not GhostBusters !

Chris Cosgrove

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

Chris,

Better a realistic prognosis than false hope!   You could be the outlier on the prognostic bell curve and have a 100% cure that's permanent.

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,891 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

Well in that case we will all watch the BSOD section !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users