Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used System Recovery Disc; Can't Shut Down Computer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SuzieQ

SuzieQ

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

Hey all-
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this!!

I was having a zillion problems with my computer, so after posting here and in the Hijack This forum extensively, I finally contacted Compaq. They sent me the Windows XP System Recovery Discs. I used the first one, and was not prompted to insert the other four.

Now my computer is a mess. It's still just as slow, but it absolutely cannot shut down. When I click on the 'start' menu, and then "turn off computer", the 'turn off computer' box appears as it should. But clicking on "turn off" does nothing. Except my office toolbar disappears.

Does anyone know what's going on? Did I use those discs incorrectly? By the way, I didn't even want them! I contacted Compaq for a copy of a Windows XP SP2 disc, and after charging me, they sent me these recovery discs. THEN they told me they don't sell XP SP2 discs, and I should have called Microsoft for that. Funny that they didn't tell me that when they took my order.

Thanks, and HELP!

susan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:50 PM

What they gave you was a set of Compaq Restore disks which should have restored your computer's software (op system) to the condition it was in when it was new.

Did you follow the directions that came with the Restore disks exactly?

The disks should be numbered and inserted in order as the computer asks for them. It may take quite a while for this entire process to occur - did you wait until each cd ejected by itself before inserting the next one and follow all directions on-screen exactly. If it did not prompt you, it was not finished.

By the way - when you do the Compaq Restore process all peripheral devices must be disconnected from the computer including the internet feed to the nic card. The only things that should be connected are the mouse, keyboard and monitor.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:28 AM

I agree with Enthusiast. I've recently restored 2 Compaq's using the recovery disks and both work just fine for me.

I would try the restore disks one more time - and if it doesn't ask for all of the disks (one at a time), then I'd have to consider that there may be other problems affecting this.

In my case, it was a voltage surge through the network (not the AC power) that fried a NIC card in one and the hard drive in another.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 SuzieQ

SuzieQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:42 PM

Hi all-
I think I may have to use these recovery discs again. No, I did not wait until prompted for the next one. It never prompted me for another one, and I just thought the process was finished. I know I waited quite a long time, but it's worth trying again.

Enthusiast, I did disconnect all peripheral devices, but what is "the internet feed to the nic card."? Since I don't know what that is, I may not have disconnected it.

I'm not questioning the usefulness of these discs. It's just that when I contacted Compaq to order a Windows XP SP2 disc, I would have preferred that they tell me they don't market that product, and explain to me that they could offer me the recovery discs, rather than just charge my credit card.

Okay, I will try again! Many thanks!

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:46 PM

The internet feed is the wire from your modem or router to your nic card (fast ethernet adapter) on your computer which is used if the computer is networked or use broadband.

It can take a LONG, LONG time for the disk to finish, but you have to wait!

Try again. I have heard of 12 to 15 hour installations - hopefully you won't need to wait THAT long.

I don't know why they didn't give you a Windows XP disk when you asked for one. They can, and have previously done so for other people I know.
I suppose it depends on how insistant one is and how high up the food chain you demand to reach.
If these restore disks will not install get on the toll free to HP support and start demanding!

I have heard stories where they told people Microsoft prohibited them from doing so (that isn't true).

The restore disks should work though, unless you do have a hardware problem.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 September 2006 - 03:53 PM.

#6 SuzieQ

SuzieQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:10 AM

Enthusiast -
when I called Compaq, irate, and demanded to speak to a supervisor, they told me that I would have to order the XP disc through Microsoft. No problem. They just had a problem issuing me a refund for the recovery discs! Since I decided to keep the recovery disc, I just let it go, but I'm still ordering an XP SP2 disc from Microsoft, since it appears important that I have one.

I am not a big fan of Compaq at the moment.

suzie

#7 SuzieQ

SuzieQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:51 PM

Here's an update:
I ran the recovery disc again. I got the same result. No prompt to insert another disc, and my computer will take me a couple of hours (again) to set it up the way I had it.

I think what I did wrong was a Standard Recovery, instead of a Full System recovery. Does anyone know if I should do a Full System recovery? It sounded a little intimidating, but perhaps that's the one that will require all five discs.

I'm frustrated. Help!

suzie

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:51 PM

Yes -
At this point do the full system recovery.

Have you backed up all your data because the full recovery will disable your ability to access it.

Also, buying a new Microsoft XP retail installation disk and license will be expensive.
Taking the computer to a technician to have them reload Windows may be a cheaper thing to do at this point, or if you want the MS Windows XP cd check the retail stores and online sources (authorized MS resellers such as newegg.com, tigerdirect.com or hundreds of others) for sale prices.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:36 AM

Generally a Standard Recovery will preserve your settings and files/data. What it does is it reinstalls Windows on top of itself (also called a repair install).

It fixes any problems that are caused by Windows system files. So, if the problem is in any other file on your system - the problem will still be there.

In that case, the "solution" is a Full System Recovery. This will reset your system (software-wise) to the exact way it was when it came out of the factory. Since your data and settings weren't there when it came out of the factory it's essential that you backup all of that before proceeding with the Full System Recovery.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 SuzieQ

SuzieQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:39 AM

Hey guys-
I backed up all my data.

But, usasma, you mentioned backing up my settings. Is there a way to do that before the full system recovery, so I don't have to spend hours reconfiguring my computer?

Also, I keep getting conflicting info about that Windows XP disc. Some say I should get it for free, only having to pay shipping and handling. Now I'm told that it will be really expensive. One person directed me to the Microsoft link where I can order it.

Since my computer came with it pre-loaded, it seems unfair that I would have to pay a lot of money to order it. Any definitive advice on that topic?

Again, thanks for all your help and support! I would be lost :thumbsup: without it.

suzie

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:00 PM

You should be able to backup your settings by using the Windows Backup utility accessed by:

Start/programs/accessories/system tools/backup

Be careful though, because it is possible that what is wrong with your system is in its settings.

#12 SuzieQ

SuzieQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:26 PM

Okay, so how do I know if what's wrong with my system is in its settings?

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:30 PM

First, use your anti-virus ap to scan them before you reinstall them.

Second, make sure a restore point is created before you restore that data so you can use it if the problem begins again.

#14 SuzieQ

SuzieQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:55 AM

Hi Enthusiast-
I'm sorry to be such a pest, but I'm having trouble understanding this stuff.

1. What does a virus scan have to do with my settings? I guess I don't really understand what "settings" are.

2. Also, my virus scan program (Mcafee) is messed up since I did the Recovery. It keeps telling me parts of it are not installed correctly. I don't have a disc for it; it is part of AOL version 9, so I can't reinstall it.

Can I download a good virus scan? I downloaded and used so many programs before when I was posting in the Hijack this forum, but now I can't remember what's what.

3. I read another thread (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic64715.html) where the poster keeps getting error messages when she tries to shut down. She was told she will always have this problem as long as she has Zone Alarm and virus scans, etc. running. Could this be what's going on for me? I don't want to disable all that stuff everytime I shut down, unless I'm supposed to.

Many, many, many thanks. I am so frustrated I don't know what to do anymore. My computer is such a mess, I have to work on a borrowed laptop.

suzie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users