Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD laser on while open??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hman123467

hman123467

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

Hi all, havent posted in a while, so here i go

I was wondering if there is any sort of program or setting out there, that allows me to turn on a laptop DVD laser while its open. If there isnt, how would i go about doing it myself? or is it not possible because of something in the BIOS?

Cheers,

hman out

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

Why, I have to ask, would you want to? I believe the design of CD/DVD players, for safety reasons, prevent the laser from being on when the tray is open or the player is not actively reading or writing to a disc. There are no settings in a computer BIOS for the laser.

Lasers in DVD CD players are not high powered but getting struck in the eye by one is not at all a pleasant experience. Ever have some idiot hit you in the eye with one of those laser pens? My advice is to not circumvent the designed safety features.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 hman123467

hman123467
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

Why, I have to ask, would you want to? I believe the design of CD/DVD players, for safety reasons, prevent the laser from being on when the tray is open or the player is not actively reading or writing to a disc. There are no settings in a computer BIOS for the laser.

Lasers in DVD CD players are not high powered but getting struck in the eye by one is not at all a pleasant experience. Ever have some idiot hit you in the eye with one of those laser pens? My advice is to not circumvent the designed safety features.

Just to have a bit of a muck around with it. perhaps it could be of some use?

cheers,

hman out

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

Well, if you're into mucking around perhaps this article will be of interest.... http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-burning-laser-for-CHEAP/

Obviously, you'd need a drive that isn't installed. I've seen cheap used drives at my local Goodwill store, but Goodwill has no way for purchaser to test a unit.   

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users