Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer pointer keeps spinning like it is trying to find something

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dragonson

dragonson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

This happens when I startup my computer and sometimes stops by itself, but more often than not, it doesn't stop and I just have to work around it.  This problem can cause password problems by not allowing me to type them in before deleting all but the last character, I cannot use drop down menus, and if a program is in small window mode(not maximized), the edges will flash like a strobe light.

GT

(hoping this is the right forum for this type of help)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:57 AM

Probably would be better off in the Windows forum for your version of the OS.

It seems that something is running that affects both the interaction with explorer.exe and the focus of windows.

I'd try to perform a Clean Boot:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

If that stops the problem, then re-enable things a few at a time until you figure out what's causing it.
Then uninstall the problem program (from Control Panel...Programs and Features).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dragonson

dragonson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

Hi Usasma,

I did as you suggested and did the clean boot state, this ended the problem of the flashing pointer, but now the task manager is starting up with a 100% disk usage state, whereas before it was starting up around 15%.  Any suggestions as to what would be causing this and how to solve the problem?

GT

I did find one of the culprits when turning startup options off and on and it is a HP program(my laptop is HP) and there are 4 or 5 programs on the uninstall list that say HP, so I do not want to uninstall the wrong one, is it just better to leave it disabled?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

If uncertain, just disable them.

If it's still running at 100% usage, I'd post over in the Windows forum for your OS - as it's not supposed to do that when running a clean boot.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users