Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel fan with high pitched whine

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rayoptics

Rayoptics

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

My wife has one of these cheesy Intel fans with a 1 inch thick cooler. The darn thing almost hurts your ears because of a singing sound it makes (sounds like about 14,000 hz). The part of the bios that is supposed to monitor the fan does not allow you to make any changes and it's a real nuisance trying to get on the Intel site.

I wondered if there is a non Intel replacement for this that isn't very expensive or a wire I could snip to make it go really fast. Thanks

:smash:

Attached Files

• Attached File  Fan.png   461.85KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

It all depends on what CPU socket you have. If you have removed the fan/heatsink from the CPU then be sure to clean off all thermal paste from the CPU and apply new before installing a new CPU fan. I would purchase a new CPU fan/heatsink and thermal paste. It's possible the fan's bearings are going bad.

#3 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

Nope, been there done that including buying an exact replacement fan.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

Sorry for my misunderstanding. Are you saying you do not wish to purchase a CPU fan/heatsink? Or, you are looking to replace just the fan? There are plenty of good non-intel CPU heat sinks on new egg that would be an excellent replacement. 

#5 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

Yes. It's a working computer. Just the fan only.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

Your image looks like the fan/heatsink combo. I am not sure if you will be able to find a non-intel replacment fan. I don't see how you could remove that fan from the heatsink and replace it with a CPU fan as the mounting of the fan to the heatsink looks proprietary. I don't know how you would mount a generic fan as show at newegg here. That's why I thought it may be better to purchase a CPU/heatsink for your CPU that has a normal fan that could easily be replaced.

Hopefully a person with better hardware experience can answer your question. 

#7 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

The older style fan laid on top of the Intel unit has the exact hole spacing as the intel. My idea was to use a Dremel tool to get rid of the intel fan and board pegs. Take the mobo out and after careful examination see if the hole on the mobo can be tapped so you have some fine threads. Go to Fastenal and find some nylon screws that will go through the board and the reworked cage etc.

Hopefully you get rid of the whistly whiney UnIntel junk and end up with a normal sounding fan that hopefully goes full throttle. My only problem is snipping the Intel wires off (ditto on the old 3 wire) and making the correct splices.

Nobody seems to know anything about fan wiring on this site, So I need help with that.

Attached Files

Edited by Rayoptics, 24 March 2017 - 05:38 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

According to newegg the fan has a 4wire PWM connector. I pulled the part number from your first image.

See page 13 of this pdf. See page 19 of the PWM spec for the pin out.

Personally, I would purchase a new CPU heatsink/fan from a good third party manufacturer before trying to modify the motherboard. 

Attached Files

#9 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

I didn't see something I had in my box of fans. It's a square fan using only 2 wires (red and black) which is hooked up to a molex setup in a way that doesn't rob you of a female molex connector. I hooked it up and listened to it. No whining, makes a good breeze. Maybe I've got a winner.

#10 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

Guess what ...... It's not the CPU fan it's the power supply LOL

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

Wow!, Thanks for the update. I definitely not open the PSU. There are some big capacitors in the PSU. One wrong move and there is a good chance you could get electrocuted. I replaced the fan on a PSU once and I would never do it again. It's not worth it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215200/Teenager-Shawnee-Oklahoma-dies-electrocuted-fixing-computer.html

#12 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

Was his last name Zappa ? oooo bad joke. I somehow stopped the whine by pushing the power supply upward and tightening the four screws on the back of the case. Thanks for the warning link. ...... Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users