Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop restarts upon waking, following a BSOD.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nezbify

Nezbify

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

My laptop got a BSOD whilst on YouTube yesterday. Now it restarts upon being woken from sleep, as well as using ~90% disk speed for a few minutes following login (upon every login; either from standard boot or from restarting when it shouldn't).

Help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Attached File  perfmon.zip   143.91KB   2 downloads

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   232.19KB   2 downloads

Technicals:

OS - Win 10 x64 (came installed with Win 8.1 x64 OEM)

Age of system - 2014 (when I bought, I think the hardware is 2012/13)

Age of OS Install - Very shortly after Win 10 was released to Win 7, 8, and 8.1 users

CPU - Intel i7-4510U

GPU - Nvidia GeForce 820M

System Manufacturer - ASUS (ASUSTek?)

Model - F550L (F550LDV-XO850H)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

This could be the result of the Windows 10 hibernation file being corrupted. Windows 10 has a hybrid shutdown that uses a hibernation file for faster startups but I personally would turn this off as it also prevents write privileges should you need to boot a linux disk to recover any data due to Windows no longer booting.

Disable Fast Startup 

After Fast Startup is disabled open a command prompt and type

shutdown -s

This will perform a total shutdown. Reboot your computer and see if you still get the disk activity. If you still do then somebody will have to look at your logs as I don't have experience with them. I did notice in perform.zip the rating for CPU, GPU, Memory, and Disk were poor. From your specs though I have a hard time understanding a poor rating. You may also want to publish a speccy report that will help with diagnostics.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 March 2017 - 01:08 PM.

#3 Nezbify

Nezbify
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:12 PM

Thanks for the reply John. I've disabled Fast Startup, and shutdown using the command prompt, but sadly this has had no effect on the disk activity upon logging in. I've linked a speccy report here as you suggested.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,619 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:41 AM

I could not find anything in Speccy that jumped out at me. Everything looks normal. 

Please download MiniToolBox run the program and post the resulting log.

Check:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

#5 Nezbify

Nezbify
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

Okay, here you are:

Attached File  MTB.zip   2.89KB   1 downloads

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,619 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:10 AM

I could find anything in the MTB log except the Connected Devices Platform service terminated with an unknown error. 

See this this thread on the CDP. I am not familiar with this service. 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/errors-with-connected-devices-platform-service-cdp/47a9048a-db1b-4aa6-b73e-cfb5367cfd24

If disabling this service does not resolve the problem I would consider doing a reset with the option to keep your files but any programs you installed would need to be reinstalled. Not an optimal solution. 

You can test your memory with memtest+86. Create a bootable disk and run the program for at least 6 passes. You can right click the iso and select burn disk image or use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Backup any data on the USB as it will be erased. You may need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings in order to boot the CD. Legacy Boot may need to be enabled.

I believe you can access a boot menu on later Asus computers by tapping F8 when you see the Asus logo at boot.

https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1008277

#7 Nezbify

Nezbify
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

Ok, well my laptop is no longer restarting after being put to sleep, though task manager still reports a high amount of disk usage upon cold boot (but it seems to have shortened in duration as well as reducing to about 80%, and this is not a big deal to me). I don't know if it's due to disabling that CDP Service, or Windows installing some updates, or even my updating my laptop's BIOS, because I did all three of those things before closing the laptop lid.

By the way, before I posted here I actually did the reset option you mentioned as an attempt to fix the rebooting issue, but evidently that didn't work. On the plus side, it removed some programs I had previously been unable to uninstall completely and some ASUS bloatware I had been meaning to remove but never got around to.

I think the issue is solved (for now?) so thanks a lot for your help.

(P.S. I've had BSODs before from clicking YouTube video links but only rarely, and I've never encountered a BSOD on this device any other way.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users