Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard not work with Windows 10-specific programs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DHP904

DHP904

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

Here is a weird one.  

Windows 10 (fully updated).  HP Laptop.

I thought my keyboard was broken because suddenly I couldn't type in any fields in the Windows 10 Mail App.  But it turns out the keyboard ONLY doesn't work for fields and apps that are unique to Windows 10.  e.g.: Mail, Edge, Cortana, Settings.  I can type fine if the typing is going in to Word, Chrome, the "old school" Control Panel, etc...

It is baffling and frustrating.

I even tried Changing keyboard language and regions settings.  No avail.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:53 AM

First things first:

-----------------------------------------

Fixing “Weird Issues” under Windows 8 or Windows 10 Using the System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management (DISM)

If you are having "weird problems" with any Windows system, the first thing you should do is to run the System File Checker (SFC).  Open a Command Prompt window using the "Run as Administrator" option.  The easiest way to do this is to hit the Windows Key, immediately enter the text “Command Prompt” and getting the Command Prompt desktop app returned as the first item.  Gain focus on it and bring up the context menu either via right click or hitting the menu/applications key [if your machine has one] or Shift+F10 if it does not then selecting “Run as administrator” from the context menu that appears.  Once that elevated command prompt window is opened, enter:

SFC /scannow

When it's finished look at its output to see if it found any corrupt files and whether it was able to fix them.

If SFC reports that it was unable to fix something, on Windows 8 and Windows 10 systems it's also worth running the following command, also in a Command Prompt window that's been opened with "Run as Adminstrator":

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

DISM should be able to fix errors that SFC may not be able to fix.  If you wish to be really thorough, after running DISM, and presuming it reports that all has been fixed, shutdown and restart your machine and run SFC one final time.  The SFC result should be clean.

------------------------------------------------------------

Then report back.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 DHP904

DHP904
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

Thanks, Brian.

I ran SFC and it came back with "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

I ran the DISM command and it ran for a while and then gave me:  

"Error 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature.  For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

Still no luck with the keyboard...

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:54 AM

You will need to do a In-place Upgrade to repair this.  You will find a very good tutorial for this here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

dc3,

I have one quick question on those instructions with regard to 32-bit and 64-bit.  Way back when I absolutely know there were separate ISOs for each respective bit-length system as I'd downloaded them.   Recently, though, there has been only one and I seem to recall that the ISO contains both 32-bit and 64-bit versions unless you go through gyrations to obtain one with only a single "bittedness."

Am I recalling correctly?   It's been a few months since I grabbed my last ISO and I do recall that the "combined bittedness" version would not fit on optical media as it's too large for a DVD.

I think if one uses a bootable USB it's possible to snag just the combined ISO.  The instructions seem to predate the combined ISO.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

Brian, when you use the Windows Media Creation Tool the option for a 32-bit or 64-bit is found during the installation.  The following instructions are a direct quote from the Microsoft Download Site.

1. Select Download tool now and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.

2. If you agree to the licence terms, select Accept.

3. On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC and then select Next.

4. Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10.

Edited by dc3, 23 March 2017 - 01:01 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

Well, I just ran the MCT and, if you uncheck the checkbox for matching the download to the configuration of the current machine being used to do the download, the architecture dropdown gives three options:  32-bit, 64-bit, both.

They just haven't updated the instructions.  I use the "both" option simply because I do have the occasional rare need to deal with a 32-bit machine with Win10.  The vast majority are 64-bit architecture.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

Somehow this really doesn't surprise me.  I appreciate the heads up on the instructions.  It's a shame Micro$oft can't or won't update their own instructions.

I will install one of my spare hdds and use the media creation tool to make the installation disc and do the installation on that drive which if there is a problem I can wipe it and reuse it later.

You are aware that we are taking this a bit off topic. :whistle:

#9 DHP904

DHP904
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

While I enjoyed the off-topic discussion, I thought I'd also note that the reinstall of Win 10 did the trick and everything is running now. 

Thanks to you both.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

You are most welcome, for the entertainment and help. :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users