Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best browser security plugins/extensions?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hateway

hateway

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

I see more and more browser extensions installing themselves into all browsers, but most commonly Firefox and Chrome. You know the ones, Call Microsoft! Call Apple! Call US! When I run scans, I never find anything except sometimes with Malwarebytes AdwCleaner, and even still I have to manually remove the extensions or reset the browser altogether. Does anyone know of any plugin or extension that will block (head off at the pass) these from injecting themselves? I have seen many tutorials by Lawrence Abrams on here for removal, but I'm looking for a blocker of some sort. Do I need a stronger firewall perhaps? Many thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2017 - 09:57 AM.
Moved from AV/AM Software to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

Any ad you see trying to get you to call to repair, fix, etc. are scam ads for criminals. Are you continuously seeing those types of ads?

The best security add-on for Firefox is NoScript....used it for many years. It takes some time to learn to use it properly but it is well worth it.

NoScript Security Suite :: Add-ons for Firefox

Next would be an ad blocker such as Adblock Plus as often even legit ad servers are compromised and show the criminal ads.

Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox

Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Store

You can block third party cookies from installing. Those are ad and tracking cookies.

How to disable third-party cookies in all major web browsers

Once you have done the above run CCleaner to remove the existing third party cookies.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

The best security program is between your ears....your knowledge of how to avoid adware and malware through safe browsing and installation of software.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

The Best Browser Extensions that Protect Your Privacy
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif